Caravan Damp.

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
HI.

Ihave just had my 10 month old Sterling Europa caravan serviced

and when i went to collect it i was told by the Dealer that the

mechanic had picked up damp readings throughout the van.

I was also informed that a third of the vans in for a service

were also registering the same information,all damp!

My caravan has been under cover since last November [GARAGED]

and there has been no smell of damp or signs of condensation.

The Dealer asked me to bring the caravan back in for a re-check

in about 6 weeks when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Could i please add that i had a Bailey caravan garaged in the same place and i never had problems damp readings.

thanks for any info.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Terry,

Given the circumstances you tell us that the caravan was stored under cover, then water ingress should not happen. This makes me doubt the dealers testing procedures, especially as he is reporting high number of other vans also with high readings.

By all means allow him to recheck in a few weeks time, but I think you may be wise to arrange to get it checks by another dealer as well.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should have been given a damp report with the readings noted in the positions they were found.

If you have not been given a report, ask why not and insist on knowing the levels and position of the damp.

As you describe the van being garaged, I would be very sceptical of the information you have been given.

It is of no value at all to make a blanket statement "the

mechanic had picked up damp readings throughout the van."

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
On my new van's first service last February I was told that my van had high damp readings and the dealer recommended another test 3 months later. I contacted the manufacturer who informed me the readings were "perfectly normal" for the time of year (15/16 per cent). As I had no desire to pay for another damp test or have the inconvenience of returning the van to the dealer I took no action. This year the readings were all about 9 percent. Maybe the dealer was being a tad over-cautious or touting for work.

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
On my new van's first service last February I was told that my van had high damp readings and the dealer recommended another test 3 months later. I contacted the manufacturer who informed me the readings were "perfectly normal" for the time of year (15/16 per cent). As I had no desire to pay for another damp test or have the inconvenience of returning the van to the dealer I took no action. This year the readings were all about 9 percent. Maybe the dealer was being a tad over-cautious or touting for work.
Your are correct Johnl i will get another independant reading done before i put it back into the Dealer.

Damian... i did not receive a damp report,stupid of me not to ask, but i will certainly follow that up now.

Thanks Johnks, i will invest in a damp meter.

Crisbee... I agree maybee he was being over-cautious.

I would like to thank yous all for your help.

Terry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts