Caravan dealer full up with people

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

Had to go to a couple of caravan dealer down here West Sussex for some spare. I went mide week and both were heaving with people. I never seen so many people in one spot. When I did get someone to speek to me I did ask what,s going on and he did say the last two weeks they had never seen any thing like this and people are spending big money. Parent and children every where you would think they were giving somthing away. One chap there was picking up a caravan twin wheel base very big caravan the tow car was only a little skoda but he seemed happy. Another chap had purchesed so much his poor wife was sitting with a wast hog on her lap the rest of the car as full to bursting. I wish I a taken camera.

This is going to be a very interesting year Happy caravaning all.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I guess with the weather picking up and the fact many see caravanning as a cheaper alternative than going abroad for instance, it's inevitable.

--------

This is very worrying:

One chap there was picking up a caravan twin wheel base very big caravan the tow car was only a little skoda

---------

I'm surprised the dealer let him drive off towing it with an inadequate car (asuming it was inadequate of tugging a twin axle).

When you buy a caravan from a dealer, they do a check on your towing vehicle to ensure it's suitable. You also have to take your vehicle documents in so they can see you actually own what you say you own.

Lisa

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
"When you buy a caravan from a dealer, they do a check on your towing vehicle to ensure it's suitable. You also have to take your vehicle documents in so they can see you actually own what you say you own.

Lisa"

No they don't have to, they really should give you proper advice as to towcar suitability but they're not obliged to.

But if you ask their advice and they tell you wrong then at least you have some recourse, sale of goods act etc, if it turns out to be wrong when they tell you your towcar can legally tow the van.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, I apologise if my information is inaccurate but I have bought two caravans from a well known reputable dealer and that is the process we went through. They also made up the number plates and fitted them onto both vans.

Wouldn't allow us to pay for it and take it away without showing proof of ownership of the vehicle I stated as owning and using as the tow car.

Lisa

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Lisa, the dealer would have required proof of ownership of the towing vehicle to make the number plate IF they were making a legal plate.

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Our experience was the same as yours Lisa. They checked our car on their computer and told us we could only buy the smallest one or a trailer tent. We changed the car and bought a Bailey 550/6.

We got our CC magazine today. Discover is advertising for used vans, 'MOST WANTED' it screams. It could be a sales pitch or perhaps Stephen is right and many families are looking at caravanning.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tram

I'd forgotten about this thread.

I checked with my husband and I was correct in my initial post. In fact, it's all coming back to me now (old age creeping in) - when we were looking for our first caravan, we were limited in our choice due to the kerbweight of our vehicle. We went to said dealers and two of the salesmen said they could only show us one caravan we could buy from them due to that fact.

We eventually found our first caravan elsewhere and stuck to the recommended 85% guideline and bought a van with a max laden weight of 1000kg.

Lisa

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
My guess is that dealer practice is variable. When we bought our van as total caravan virgins, they didn't check if the towcar was suitable but we were in a Kia Sedona. The guy hitched up our new empty van with no check of noseweight. We assumed being brand new to vanning that as the van was empty noseweight wouldn't be an issue. I now know that the van is hideously nose heavy when empty, over 100kg (thanks to this forum). So off we went down the M1 with illegal outfit. Thanks dealer!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
On the other hand, dont assume all vans are nose heavy empty.

Our previous van a Avondale, end kitchen, only had a nose weight of 35kg.

I have always found dealers quite usless when it comes to knowledge of nose weight of the vans they sell.

Ask next time your'e at a dealer, the pat answer is "i'll have to look that up sir"

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We stopped at Golden Castle caravans in Cheltenham on Saturday and battled to get parking they were that busy. In all the years we have used them we have never seen it that busy and it was not in the acessory shop! What recession?

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
We stopped at Golden Castle caravans in Cheltenham on Saturday and battled to get parking they were that busy. In all the years we have used them we have never seen it that busy and it was not in the acessory shop! What recession?
Hi Ian

I was at caravan dealers Bardsea Leisure on the edge of the Lakes (collecting my new Ranger) they had seen more foot traffic than the previous year and sold both new and used models at a steady pace. Passed another Dealer Campbells to and the car park was well and trully full. Value holidays is what caravanning is all about, and the public are responding-long may it continue. Oh and if anybody new Tom the salesman at Stewart Longtons-well he asked me to tell the forum he hasnt retired, but now working at Bardsea-waiting to do more deals!

Andrew

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Andrew, I think the main issue is going to be availablity of pitches in school holidays. I have already seen some site owners hike up their prices a fair bit, for example last year on a site not far from us it was

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Ian

Im sorry to say your right. Just looking around at the prices same time last year to go away this year same place up 35%. I think there going to be a great deal of ripping off in the caravan holidaying this year.

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
When we changed our caravan last year we were asked by the dealer what our tow car was to check it was suitable and we had to provide the log book for the number plates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts