Caravan Dealerships - Some history.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23278
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23278

Morphing out of the 'Broadlane Alcester' discussion during which Golden Castle Caravans was discussed I offer pictures of the past:-
First one of Ken Stephens Caravans (as they then were at Staverton (Gloucester Airport) 19 April 1959.
Second one of the same dealership on the same date but closer focused.
I can count three Carlights on the forecourt but there are some interesting caravans amongst the stock.

The links give the origin of the photos (via historicengland) but the photographer - Harold Wingham - took some beauties of our local area between the early fifties and the mid sixties.

D

Deleted member 23278

On the other side of the Gloucester Road from the caravan dealership was this factory, which is for the large part still there. At the time of the photo it was Rotol Ltd (shortened from Rolls Royce/Bristol) a collaborative company set up to manufacture variable-pitch propellors in the late 1930's as part of the -then- coming war effort. The factory is now Safran Landing Systems (previously Messier Dowty).

Reactions: woodsieboy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I see the shop and sales office remains the same today. But it is the van, or vans against the building with apparently 4 wheels that confuses me. Looks like two vans screwed together.

IMG_0358.jpeg

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts