Caravan Design

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Am I the only person who gets totally frustrated with the interior design of caravans? At the moment we have a 1999 Elddis Hurricane XL and the proportions are perfect, one third roomy bathroom with shower, wardrobe, swivel toilet and good size basin, and plenty of lower storage, one third kitchen with good sized sink, proper draining board,full sized oven,good sized fridge and a long work surface, and one third lounge with conventional two sofa layout.

We would love to upgrade but to what? The new caravans either have fixed beds (who on earth wants to have to climb over their other half in the middle of the night for the loo or a drink or, if you are tall like me, either be trapped between two fixed points or have your feet hanging off a curved corner? Then there's the sacrifice of the bathroom, I am 5'10" tall, do I want to be banging my elbows in something the size of a tiny single wardrobe, no thanks!

So, forget the fixed bed, let's now look at modern bathrooms. There is the stylishly curved shower with the sliding (well in most cases so we found, juddering) door. Drop the soap in one of those and you are in trouble as it is hard to bend over! Then there is the option of the shower in the toilet area, great, one shower and you are left wiping down the loo, the walls, the basin, the side surfaces, I do enough at home, I don't want that hassle when I am touring, give me my separate square shower cubicle with its folding door any day.

Ah, nearly forgot, the kitchen. Only a man could design a kitchen with nowhere to put a hot dish when it comes out of the oven. There's the modern sink with a glass cover, smart,a four ring hob with a lift up lid that partly blocks the window behind, not so smart, and no side surfaces, bad idea boys! So what are we left with? My 1999 Hurricane XL that's what. So Elddis, how about updating that format, nice modern fabrics, a light and airy interior, you'll sell heaps of them - promise!

Patricia Holmes

20 Hayes Lane

Slinfold

West Sussex

RH13 0SQ

01403-790276

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi why spend thousands of pounds on a new van when the one you suits you so very well there is the fleetwood volanti twin fixed beds or the bailey senator louisana with fixed island double bed me i would rather stick with the van i have tried and tested and keep the cash in the bank happy camping peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing at all wrong with the fixed bed IMHO, Im nearly 6ft and theres ample room for me, anyway its just down to personal preferences. Im not going to write the pros and cons of having the fixed bed because the subject has been covered on here many a time. Our caravan has just turned one year old and it suits us perfectly but there are still a couple of things that I might want to change and cant but I live with it and get on, the fun of going away in the caravan is adapting to whatever the situation throws, as long as the wines flowing and the beers are cold who gives a damn what colour the loo paper is. I hope you find what your looking for!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Who on earth would want a fixed bed ?

Well we do as two of the thousands who do otherwise every manufacturer would not have at least one and often more in their ranges.

We are awaiting our 2nd fixed bed as we like the first one so much.Having a wife with Parkinsons means no help with bed making and the need to rest during the day has to be catered for as well.

Bailey Senators now have the option of a fixed bed to the left or right of the caravan which is why we chose the Oklahoma as I sleep on the wall/window side and rarely need to get up in the night whereas HRH makes frequent trips to check that no-one has removed the loo. I try to get up even less since I fell out and banged my head on the washbasin .(you could have a point I suppose)The Indiana has the bed on the other side to suite couples with difference incontinence needs and the Louisiana has a bed down the middle for the doubly incontinent who don't have many clothes (judging from the size of the wardrobes!!!)

So you see Patricia Bailey have indeed gone to great trouble to design sleeping arrangements for all needs

They also have no glass covers and acres (?) of worktop with microwaves and 4 burner cookers with ovens and grills.Possibly designed by men to keep 'er indoors busy while they're down the pub

By the way what time would it be convenient to call you as you kindly included you phone number !!

Only joking

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Patricia...did you really mean to leave your address and telephone number? Giving the recent events I think you would be wise to ask the moderator to delete this for you? Just a thought...

Regards P&R

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Patricia...did you really mean to leave your address and telephone number? Giving the recent events I think you would be wise to ask the moderator to delete this for you? Just a thought...

Regards P&R
Me too.That was my way of pointing out unwanted calls could be received !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there

Its everyone to their own I suppose. we had exactly the same lay out as you on our old van and really didn't get on with it at all. We didn't like having 1/3 van as a washroom we never used our shower once and only used it for the dirty washing bag. We have now got a new elddis with the fixed bed the classic layout with corner bed and small washroom and we just love it.Surely if you have to make the front dinette bed someone still has to climb over the other one for the loo unless you use them as single beds.

If you love your layout there are loads of two berths that are the same in fact most manufacturers have that lay out. I don't know where you live but the caravan show at Cottingham near Hull is a great place to see all the new models.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there

Its everyone to their own I suppose. we had exactly the same lay out as you on our old van and really didn't get on with it at all. We didn't like having 1/3 van as a washroom we never used our shower once and only used it for the dirty washing bag. We have now got a new elddis with the fixed bed the classic layout with corner bed and small washroom and we just love it.Surely if you have to make the front dinette bed someone still has to climb over the other one for the loo unless you use them as single beds.

If you love your layout there are loads of two berths that are the same in fact most manufacturers have that lay out. I don't know where you live but the caravan show at Cottingham near Hull is a great place to see all the new models.
Sorry should have known where you live -you have put your address at the end! silly me!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I too sum time wuder if we not got the rigth van. The chose is hard to make now days with all the lay outs. Would it work for use.

Some time a go the mag put a web sit adders for compertion to disin a caravan.

Dus eny one now it.

(Cud it be posibull to see how thing are going on Mr M in nest mouth mag)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think one of the problems is growing kids! What seems right one minute starts to feel wrong as you watch them grow and you end up already considering 'what you would have next' and of course if you did change, you would then be considering what you would go back to after the kids have grown up and don't want to tour with Mum and Dad anymore! We are expecting to change our layout certainly as they reach teenagers, and then I expect again when they have left home and it is just the two of us. Mind you that's less caravans than cars that I have got through over the years!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our problem was with growing "geriatricity" which brought on the perceived need for the fixed bed

Perhaps this concept is best appreciated from the viewpoint of increasing senility.

They are certainly popular on C & CC Rallies on the Costa Geriatrica

TRENDING THREADS