Caravan Electrical Problem

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
I'm new to this group so please bear with me.
I have a Fleetwood Colchester 520/4EB 2004. I tow with a 2008 Mondeo. Upto last week I have had no problems with my road lights on the van but all of a sudden I have a problem. All my lights work ok on the left hand side but the right hand side is causing me a real headache. Before I explain let me tell you what I have done to check whether the car is the problem. I have an old car which I used to tow with and I hooked it up and the problems are the same, I think this eliminates the car.
I have also checked all the connections on the caravan plug and cleaned all the pins. I have checked all the bulbs and they are ok. I cannot check the high level brake light as there appears to be no access to it but it does not appear to be working.
Now for the fun bit, the side lights work fine on their own but when i put the RH indicator on the rear stop light/side light bulb flash dimmly and the audiable buzzer stops and the front side light does on work and the rear marker light flashes. When I press the brakes on their own they are ok but if i put the side lights on the RH sto/tail lights both come on dimmly.
I feel this is an earthing problem but cannot find and sign of one. Has anyone got any ideas please or do I need to get it in to a workshop. I still think the top brake light may have something to do with it but as i said before I do not appear to be able to access it.
I look forward to any help that may be out there.

Many thanks
Tony

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and it eventually turned out that one or two of the pins in the caravan plug had pushed back ever so slightly over time which meant they were not connecting with the relevant bit in the socket. I note you've said that you've checked and cleaned the pins, did you dismantle the plug to do this? If so, then it's probably not the cause, but if you cleaned them in-situ it might be worth checking that all of the pins are level within the plug. Simple to check and cost free.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tony, and welcome to the PCV website.
You have done the first things to check, and from your posting you seem to have covered most things.
However, have you checked the road light fuses inside the van?
Normally they are in one of the front bed boxes, but may, depending on your power supply, be on the main 12v distribution unit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony,

Road light problems can seem quite confusing, but approaching the problem logically usually sorts it out.

Checking the plug and socket, as has been suggested do make sure none of the connectors have pushed back in to their housings, and it can help just to slightly widen the gap in the pins with a screwdriver to make sure they really make a good contact when the plug is pushed into the socket.

Damain has mentioned the fuses,

And whilst the 'earths' have been mentioned they deserve a little more attention. firstly technically they are not earths but negative returns. On more than one occasion I have found the negative wire from the lamp fittings have rusted/corroded. this is usually a white powdery growth or rust coloured, Loosen the connection and then retighten it is usually enough to break through the corrosion and re-establish the connection. a light spray of WD40 or even better battery terminal grease/petroleum jelly to help keep the connection's from corroding further. The negative wire in the road lights is white and is connecetd to pin 3 of the 7N plug and socket.

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys thanks for your replies.
I have taken the plug apart and cleaned them up individually, in addition all the connectors are rust/corrosion free but i have not checked the fuses yet so will have a look this afternoon after work. Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Tony

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I once again
I have checked things again and found the fuse marked Car in the van had blown. I changed it but it made no difference. I also checked the once shown as lights but these were ok. I then reconnected the van again to write down what i was getting and low and behold things are working again. Still not sure what the problem was or whether it will return however, I am going to change the caravan plug just in case.
Anyway thanks for your inputs and I will be back if I have any further problems.
Cheers
Tony
P.S. Whats the best mastic to use for resealing the roof skylight please.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Best to remove all old mastic, thoroughly clean both van roof and rooflight where it rests on the van, then IDL99 is the best to use as it is a non setting bedding mastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts