Caravan electrics on Avondale Dart

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,

After camping for a while , we decided to buy a touring caravan and keep it permanently sited.

My question if anyone can help is that the van is 10 amp and the site is 16 amp.

We have an Avondale Dart 545/4 2005, do would it be b possible to get the electrics changed to16 amp or would it not make a great deal of difference.

Apologies to all for the vagueness of my question.

thanks

Jo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your caravan is okay connected to a 16 amp supply as it will only take a maximum of 10 amps through its installed consumer unit.

Ir are you looking to upgrade the 10 amp system to 16 amps to run more equipment simultaneously? Which would be a complex job and one with questionable benefits regarding value for money.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

yes we thought if we could upgrade it and maybe use a few more appliances.
We really only use the electrics for the lights and the fridge and occasionally the toaster,
So if it is quite complex and expensive, may just consider what we have.

Everything else seems to work in the van .

thanks again for the reply☺️

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

yes we thought if we could upgrade it and maybe use a few more appliances.
We really only use the electrics for the lights and the fridge and occasionally the toaster,
So if it is quite complex and expensive, may just consider what we have.

Everything else seems to work in the van .

thanks again for the reply☺
On the CAMHC website there is a list of what a variety of appliances take in amps. Do you not use electric for heating the caravan or water.?

To reduce consumption you could fit LED lights inside. But it’s not too difficult to manage the power such that you can stay within the caravans 10 amp limit. We have to do it when abroad where sometimes the EHU is limited to 5-6 amps. 10 amps isn’t that unusual either in UK. At least with a 10 amp limit in the van you shouldn’t be upsetting many site managers by tripping the EHU supply bollard:eek::eek:

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
On the CAMHC website there is a list of what a variety of appliances take in amps. Do you not use electric for heating the caravan or water.?

To reduce consumption you could fit LED lights inside. But it’s not too difficult to manage the power such that you can stay within the caravans 10 amp limit. We have to do it when abroad where sometimes the EHU is limited to 5-6 amps. 10 amps isn’t that unusual either in UK. At least with a 10 amp limit in the van you shouldn’t be upsetting many site managers by tripping the EHU supply bollard:eek::eek:

We don’t normally use the heating and we only put the water heater on when we need hot water. The showers on the site are far better than in our van, so use them instead.

we try not to use our appliances as we have tripped the electrics a few times and are learning what we can and can’t have on at the same time, hence the question about upgrading to 16 amp.
we have some portable camping lights that we use and they do very well .
I guess I’m your typical person who has to learn that a van is not like home and I can’t use what I want when I want 😳😳

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts