Caravan external locker box security

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi Any ideas about increasing the vans many external locker boxs security. ( You can leave out the toilet one, ) IE it seems so easy for someone to break into the battery box and steal the battery or front box and you need 2 new gas bottles costing about £100.00. While we are about it any comments on the main entrance door security or do people generally not worry about security. How many reading this have had goods stolen?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Grey13, without intending to be rude, if you are that worried about security, then perhaps caravanning isn't really for you?
It would be impossible to make a tin and plastic box secure, and I have always lived by the premise that if they want to get in, they will get in!
By all means lock your doors, but if you put stronger locks on, thieves will only do more damage getting in.
Stop worrying and enjoy!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
For your future reference, only one topic which deals with the same subject is allowed, duplicates are removed.
I see that Damian has edited this post, and I'm guessing that the edit was to remove the same vulgarity which appeared in the duplicate which I removed.
Industrial phrases or language have no place on this open forum.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
For your future reference, only one topic which deals with the same subject is allowed, duplicates are removed.
I see that Damian has edited this post, and I'm guessing that the edit was to remove the same vulgarity which appeared in the duplicate which I removed.
Parksy, what did i do?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Grey, hi ,
Like Emerson says if they want to be in they will get in, the more you put on to secure it the more damage will be done, you have more chance of it getting broken into whilst on the street and unattended i.e at your personal address, better to have it in a secure lock up / storage facility which is looked after otherwise onsite I wouldn't worry , I would imagine if someone on site saw someone suspicious trying to get into your lockers or van they would say something and raise the alarm , in the past 5 year we have gone out and left items in awning unattended with items in there and nothing has been stolen - yet !!
:huh:
Craig

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Moderator - Parksy Hi You may have noticed that the first post was incorrectly placed in the new members section. I wanted to change that and put it in the "technical" section but as far as I can see on this site it is not easy! Perhaps let me know how to do it for future reference.. I certainly have no interest in posting the same one twice as you suggest!.

Regarding the comical comment it you consider that a vulgarity you are well and truly misinformed. Either way it was intended as a light hearted comical comment. However now I am aware of the narrow strict formal tolerance on the forum I will refrain from any light hearted banter in future.

Moderator Note " Post slightly amended to remove the so called "comical comment".
This forum is read by people of all ages and has taken a lot of time and effort to bring it to the level it is at now , from the way it used to be, and that is by keeping language to a level that is acceptable to even the youngest reader. Your comment about being "well and truly misinformed" is nonsense and totally out of place. If you cannot use wording which does not sink to the lowest denominator to get your point across, don't post at all.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
emmerson said:
Grey13, without intending to be rude, if you are that worried about security, then perhaps caravanning isn't really for you?!

Reasonable comment, however I have caravanned all round southern Africa for many years and yes caravanning is for me, even though the geography and weather here is not quite the same. I will adapt to wet weather outdoor activities. For the record although around 1500 entire vans go missing in the UK safety and security is a lot worse in Africa hence my questions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are currently on a site in Scotland where there are seasonal vans out on their pitches with lots of kit just stuffed underneath them. Talking to one owner he's been coming here for 10 years and never heard of anything being stolen.
I agree with the comments that making things more secure could lead to more damage but also make them heavier. We put stuff under the van and in the lockers and have never had a problem. On most sites people seem to keep a look out for strange behaviours. Just take sensible precautions and enjoy your caravanning.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Grey13.
£100 for two gas bottles :eek:hmy:
They're two a penny at recycling centres and dumps.
The truth is as others have said don't leave anything valuable unattended.
The thief will always win. Extra locks are available but imo advertise you have something worth stealing.
That said the most important factor is to fully comply with all your Insurers security requirements.
Wheel clamps, locks, hitch locks , trackers etc.
More often than not the damage done by the thief gaining entry causes more expensive damage than the cost of the stolen property.
I suggest choice of holiday site and storage site will be relevant to your theft exposure.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday at Calor themselves, 2 x 6kg lite cost deposit £40.00 and £22.00 to fill. Total is £ 127.00 inc VAT. I guess with all things one can cut corners but for me when dealing with gas safety comes first! However for the rest of your comments I fully agree!

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
You definitely seem to be picking on me. You say "If you cannot use wording etc ...." which implies you did not even read my reply properly because I clearly stated."I will refrain from any light hearted banter in future." My suggestion is take a deep breath and leave it at that!

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Yesterday at Calor themselves, 2 x 6kg lite cost deposit £40.00 and £22.00 to fill. Total is £ 127.00 inc VAT. I guess with all things one can cut corners but for me when dealing with gas safety comes first! However for the rest of your comments I fully agree!

I'm struggling to understand how obtaining Calor cylinders from the local recycling centre, online auction or selling sites is cutting corners in respect of safety. Obtain a cylinder, take it for refill/exchange for a full one through the various outlets, whereupon you have a tested refilled cylinder to use with your caravan.

My CalorLite was the cost of the gas only. After explaining the original bottle from the 1960's handed down from my father was never subject to any hire agreement and had been changed in many guises over those decades to suit what my use was be that a Calor or Camping Gaz or BBQ or butane or propane or large or small or CalorLite. Sometimes you just have to stand your corner against corporate greed and not pay for something that doesn't require paying for :p

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Crikey ! Parksy's fingures have been working overtime this morning ! :p :lol:

Grey , like someone else replied earlier on , choose your sites wisley , 9 out of 10 will be ok but you may get the odd site where people wander through and chance a quick grab!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have always used the ethos of only posting commets I would be prepared to say face to face to any member of the general public, and sticking to facts and avoiding personal remarks.

In jokes or experience related humour does not always translate well in written form so its best avoided.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Thanks and agreed, as do I, cracking a joke like that is exactly what I would do face to face in a light hearted casual conversation. However I do give credence to the remark children may well read these posts and so will refrain as already noted from any light hearted similar comments in future. I must add I never expected such "serious consequences" to what in reality is trivial comical remark (a non event) The world is a sad enough place and the caravanning fraternity is supposed to provide some form of escapism from all that! Boy am I not just the villain now! QED

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Grey ,
joking aside , you're on about £100 for two gas bottles , we've got a 6 kg propane being used which I've just gettin swapped just a few months ago , cost me £19 , and that will last well over a year and that's used quite often, the smaller gas one that I carry for the barbecue , (3.9kg i think) it has only been changed twice in 5 years !
Craig .

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
emmerson said:
Parksy said:
Parksy, what did i do?

From the rest of the posts, I assume that comment wasn't meant for me.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Calor charged £40.00 for each bottle a deposit that is partly refundable, and £22.85 for filling. The deposit is refundable on the following basis - 70% if returned in 1st year, 60% in second, 50% in 3rd, 45% in 4th and 40% in 5th etc. Perhaps I may not have needed 2 bottles but there you go. Thanks anyway !

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Quote from their site: As of 1st July 2017 the 2014 6kg Calor Lite® recall, which required the return of all 6kg Calor Lite® cylinders manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive, will be closed. Should you still have a cylinder from the affected batch it will however still be swapped by your retailer on return for a replacement 6kg Calorlite® or if one is not available then a standard 6kg cylinder. https://www.calor.co.uk/recall

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's not what I referred to. Calor are discontinuing the sale of Calorlite as was announced a while back. See the thread that refers to this. Lizzie Pope posted it intitally. So as Calorlite cylinders come in they won't go out again.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi, you had me worried there so I called their head office technical dept. The lady explained there were some bottles (not all) manufactured in the years 08.09.10.11 that failed standard safety test so they decided to withdraw them and are in the process of replacing them with a "new version" lite due for release at the end of this year 2017). However they have in reality not kept every lite back manufactured between those years when returned, they get retested and if passed will have a hole drilled in the aluminium neck plate indicating they are safe. So even if you get a lite from the years 08. 9. 10. 11 and it has a hole drilled in the plate it is safe and suitable for continued use. If anyone is worried they will exchange them for a heavier steel one but they say it is not necessary. After the NEW lite is released year end they will exchange them free of charge for the new ones in 2018

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Keefy beat me to it.
You do not have to pay the extortionate amount to Calor. Just acquire empty ones from the dump or ebay and exchange them for freshly filled "safe" replacements at any calor gas retailer :)

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I suppose I will get told off now, but several years ago at a big commercial site in Skegness I caught someone in the process of removing my water butt, now before I continue with the rest of my post, what do I call someone with a white transit van full of mobile numbers with decals slapped on it advertising block paving and tarmac, well in my world he was a thief.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts