Caravan floor

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
I own a 1996 fleetwood garland, and i am now in the process of repairing a soft floor,At present i have removed the carpet and have around 4 foot of floor to repair, I understand that you drill 1 inch holes every 6 inches or so on the floor you need to repair,As for the chemicals to use Can anyone recommend some and i understand appollo chemicals are good but i am unable to find any,Also when the job is done any ideas as to what i can fill the holes with?,would a car body filler do the job,and also is it worth boarding the floor all over when everything has hardened to give extra strength,And just as an after thought i didnt know weather to recarpet the van again or put a vinal flooring down,Any comments or suggestions please,Thanking you all in advance,

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Eddy, This is an alternative method of repairing delam in a floor,I always use this method. Determine the extent of the damage from inside the van, transfer the informatation to the underside, drill a series of 8mm holes through the first layer of ply ONLY these should be centered at 200mm over the whole area, now drill 6mm pilot holes through the insulation until you just touch the upper ply NOT through, mix the 2 part adhesive carefully and load into caulking gun supplied with kit, the mixture will stay usable for about an hour, push the plastic probe into the hole until it touches the upper ply then pull it back a 1/4", pump the adhesive into the floor four or five pulls should do it you will feel the pressure build depending on the severity of the de-lam in that area, work your way across all the holes one line at a time, when injection is complete, place boards inside van and place weights on to apply an even pressure across the reworked area, place plugs into holes,and leave for 24/48 hours. DO NOT inject to close to origanel joins in the floor!!! make sure you clean all equipment with the supplied solvent within the hour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
eddie you need to get the kit for doing the job from Appolo Adhesives ltd High meadows billington ave littlehaywood staffs st18 0uz tel 01889 271692 you will get two tins to mix together DONT DRILL 1inch holes you should mark the floor of in 4 inch squares and drill in the corner of each square dont drill hole till you get kit there should be a plunger with the kit drill from inside van only through the top ply and poke a rod down to the bottom ply DONT GO THROUGH THE BOTTOM PLY HOPE THIS WILL HELP

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
eddie you need to get the kit for doing the job from Appolo Adhesives ltd High meadows billington ave littlehaywood staffs st18 0uz tel 01889 271692 you will get two tins to mix together DONT DRILL 1inch holes you should mark the floor of in 4 inch squares and drill in the corner of each square dont drill hole till you get kit there should be a plunger with the kit drill from inside van only through the top ply and poke a rod down to the bottom ply DONT GO THROUGH THE BOTTOM PLY HOPE THIS WILL HELP
buy some lengths of round dowelling also, and use a drill the size of the dowel, when u have injected it, knock a 1" length of dowel in to fill the hole. the drill & dowel should be the same thickness as the injector nozzle by the way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
buy some lengths of round dowelling also, and use a drill the size of the dowel, when u have injected it, knock a 1" length of dowel in to fill the hole. the drill & dowel should be the same thickness as the injector nozzle by the way.
Thanks Keith forgot to say about the dowel to fill the holes and remember to clean any Adhesive off the floor before it sets very hard to get off when dry

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
01:33 PM hi,delamination...frightening no if you set out your stall and take your time.this is not a two hour job as stated,when you have finished you will know why they charge so much at the caravan repair shop.i have just done ours a few months ago.i will go through the steps best i can.ours had gone in two places,next to the door entrance and next to the sink four feet away.you will find that delamination is where the floor is used most.ie next to the sink and the door entrance.first decide how much delamination you have,ie.2 feet (old school) or 6 feet,this information is required when you go to order your epoxi resin mix.one mix will cover about 3 feet by 3 feet.got mine from barrons

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Eddie,

I recently had the same problem with floor delam. My van was sold to me as a 92 when in fact it is probably 7-10 years older than that. I followed the instructions as given by Metz but instead of buying three tins of very expensive epoxy to relaminate my floor, I went to my local builders merchant and bought three tins of expanding foam filler.I had to do the entire walkway of my van. For what you say youve got I should think one large can will do. My floor is now solid as a rock as the expanding foam is tougher than the original and can be screwed into. Total cost for epoxy 40+ compared with total cost for expanding foam Around a tenner. No contest.

Nov 10, 2005
Visit site
Hi Donald

Do you mean expanding filler foam for sealing window frames etc in houses? This seems like a great idea to me as it should insulate better than epoxy resin. I wasn't sure that it would be strong enough to walk on but you say that is very solid.

Many thanks

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

expanding foam......hhmmm good idea if you know the rate that it will expand too, not saying it wont work but just got to be careful thats all as it could swell the floor if to much is pumped in.

The delamination kit is available from most good caravan outlets, I did it from the inside as I was repacing the standard shadow pile carpet anyway. when the carpet is out it should only take half an hour to drill and fill but it does get a bit messy so dont wear your Sunday best!!!!

Tip: any residue that seaps out of the holes, spread across the floor for added strength as it sets like concreate.

Jim.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Donald

Do you mean expanding filler foam for sealing window frames etc in houses? This seems like a great idea to me as it should insulate better than epoxy resin. I wasn't sure that it would be strong enough to walk on but you say that is very solid.

Many thanks
Hi Eddie,

Yes mate thats the stuff. I drilled holes every six inches in a matrix to cover the area I wanted to re-laminate. Pump the expanding foam into each hole untill it comes out of the next hole and then leave to expand. If you are workin close to a seam, then I suggest a board with a weight to keep it flat. The filler will continue to expand for a short while. Go off and get a cuppa and sit and watch tv for 20 mins. When you go back just scrape off the bubbles on top of the floor and fill holes with wood filler. I did a section of wall that I had to replace as well. I was worried that the board would not support the screws for the bunks. Not only did the expanding foam take the screws, but I was able to tighten them down so the bunks are more solid than with the original fittings. I has a lot of floor to do and the fixtures in my van sort of squeeked when you walked on the pre-treated floor. As I did each section of floor, the squeek got less and less till finaly no squeek at all. Two words of warning. Dont get it on your skin and clothes, its a bu**er to get off and take your time.If you take your time you can see any problems as they occur. Try it on a small section. If it isnt what you want, then you can buy epoxy.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
G thanks everybody im confused now with all the suggestions,but really a big thank you to you all, I have removed my carpet which is rotten anyway and i have got about four foot of floor to do, Now one dealer doesnt sell the stuff,another dealer will not sell me it unless i chat with an engineer first and its

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
G thanks everybody im confused now with all the suggestions,but really a big thank you to you all, I have removed my carpet which is rotten anyway and i have got about four foot of floor to do, Now one dealer doesnt sell the stuff,another dealer will not sell me it unless i chat with an engineer first and its

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Eddie i had a floor problem with my van, Don't use expanding foam as this can expand to much and ruin your floor, i used a 1 part resin which i got from my local dealer (Folkestone), who in turn got it from Bailey Caravans in Bristol i dont think you can get it direct from Bailey's but your local dealer may be able to get it. It is made by Apollo Chemicals and my floor is perfect. You can get a 2 part Kit but i found this stuff really good the part number which i got from Baileys is,A7510 Good Luck.

Barry..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Eddie i had a floor problem with my van, Don't use expanding foam as this can expand to much and ruin your floor, i used a 1 part resin which i got from my local dealer (Folkestone), who in turn got it from Bailey Caravans in Bristol i dont think you can get it direct from Bailey's but your local dealer may be able to get it. It is made by Apollo Chemicals and my floor is perfect. You can get a 2 part Kit but i found this stuff really good the part number which i got from Baileys is,A7510 Good Luck.

Barry..
Sorry M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts