Caravan fridge

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about Dometic fridges.
my fridge in a 2006 van just does not work.not a squeak.
I am wondering if an electrical switch that may not be turning
things on but I may be talking rubbish.
anyway how do I start in finding out what the problem or problems are.
thanks.Viv Thomas

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Fridges work from mains and gas only, or can be kept cold by 12V from the towing vehicle - they do not work on caravan 12V.
For a fridge of that age there will be an ignition button. Make sure the gas master valve for the fridge is turned on - they are often under the cooker. Turn the fridge control to gas, press the ignition button and hold it pressed. There should be a clear glass rod low down at the back of the fridge which will let you see that the flame is lit. If it isn't release and press and hold the button again. If the flame is lit release the button after about 10-15 seconds and the flame should stay lit.
If the fridge has a small meter near the controls which has a half white half green band, when you have gone through the ignition sequence and hold the button pressed the needle should slowly climb into the green. You can release the button at about ¼ scale.

Of course you should have a fridge handbook. If not get the model number from the label inside the fridge at the side of the cooler box at the bottom, then Google it.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the caravan is not working on mains electricity I would start by checking the fuse. If this is OK then you should also check the battery pack. In ours this is a pull out section in the facia but it could vary from model to model, so check your handbook. There may be an isolation switch for the fridge, but this would be very unusual, you need the electrics master switch in the on setting for the fridge to work though.
If you do not have the handbook check the model you have and go on line to Dometic where copies are provided and a troubleshooting guide.
You do not say how old the fridge is or the model but it is possible for the fridge to fail which would produce your problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Viv.

From your posting I get the impression you have just purchased this caravan secondhand.

Getting the instructions will point to the correct operation.

I might be worth contacting your seller to see if they can cast any light on the problem. If you bought it from a private seller you wont have any formal warranty, but if you purchased from a dealer then you do have a warranty and or you might have rights to get it sorted under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Viv
Usually most used caravans come with a service history and file with appliance manuals. Do you have them?
What model caravan and fridge model number ?
Armed with that Google and a
so the Gurus on here may help.
If you have no service history or other records you will be wise to consult a qualified caravan engineer. Caravan fridges run independently on three power systems including gas depending on selection. Anything to do with gas and carbon monoxide needs to be respected.

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about Dometic fridges.
my fridge in a 2006 van just does not work.not a squeak.
I am wondering if an electrical switch that may not be turning
things on but I may be talking rubbish.
anyway how do I start in finding out what the problem or problems

Have you had the caravan long ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts