Caravan handling

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
I tow a twin axle compass magnum 21ft with a Discovery II. The van feels like it is pushing heavily against the car (not snaking ) but not comfortable. I have noticed that beacause the Discovery is a high vehicle the van is sitting on an angle (lower at the rear). Would a drop down plate on my tow bar taking the towball lower to level the van, rectify this problem. If so can you recommend which type of drop down plate to use for a heavy outfit.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Barry

The legal requirement is that the height from the ground to the centre of the towball should be between 350mm and 420mm.

I'm not too sure about a drop down plate but I've seen Disco's fitted with a variable towing attachment which allows towball height to be altered.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barry,

If the caravan is set up correctly, it should barely push the car at all. Why? you ask, well as soon as the caravan tries to push the car it begins to compress the overrun coupling which will begin to apply the caravan brakes. This will slow the caravan and relive the 'push' on the car. If you are genuinely experiencing a significant shove from the caravan the there is something wrong with the braking system.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the attitude of the caravan.

The 350 to 420mm tow ball height regulations may not apply to LR Disco's. I think, but I am not 100 % sure the Disco is classed differently to most saloon cars and may be exempt from the height regulation. Lutz has posted the classes in the past, but I could not find them to repost.

Barry I think you may need to get your brakes checked, or it may just be one of those characteristic s that you are particularly sensitive too.

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
HI Barry

A few years ago I used to tow a single axle 2 berth Bailey Senator initially with a LR Freelander with no problem, I then traded up to a Disco II. The outfit suffered excessive instability especially on motorways. The only way to cure to the problem was to fit a drop plate to the tow bar, I also maintained the noseweight as close as possible to the maximum recommended weight after which the outfit towed without without a problem.

I was going to say without a hitch but imagine the response!!

Rob E

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A drop plate, as such, will have no effect on stability. However, if the towball is too high and the noseweight is measured with the caravan standing level, then the actual noseweight when it is hitched up will be too low and this will cause instability.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Barry

The first thing i noticed when i bought a heavier caravan, was the pushing effect as you describe, the van was new so i would expect the brakes to be setup correctly.

It was more pronounced when entering a round about, the car was actually under steering, being pushed wider than would have been the case with my previous van.

All it required was a slower entry speed.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l have a new Shogun tow bar fitted by Mitsubishi the tow bar has to heights for the tow ball, mine is set on the lower one which gives it slightly nose down with the correct nose weight, the higher setting is only an inch higher.

The van tows brilliant at this setting, l could probably raise it to the higher setting which would probably be then level not a little nose down, but l am loathed to do this as the van tows so well at the lowers setting.

Does it matter the van is a little nose low, l have read some where on this forum that vans tow better a little nose heavy my nose weight it around 90Kg. the Shogun has a nose weight of 120Kg, caravan 100kg so l think l am about right, any thoughts.

NigelH

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As the noseweight should be measured with the coupling at the same height as when the caravan is hitched up to the car, it doesn't matter whether the caravan is standing level, up or down. A nose up attitude has the disadvantage of losing ground clearance at the back of the caravan, though.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The headwind at speed will probably raise the front end, but that itself has no effect on the way the caravan handles. However, at the same time the noseweight is reduced and this is what is detrimental to stability, regardless of whether the caravan is level, nose up or nose down.

TRENDING THREADS