Caravan Hitch Damper Oil Loss

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Just drove to Spain and noticed that the caravan "bumps" the back of my car when stopping. It also jerks when starting off again. I checked the damper in the hitch (Winterhoff WS3000) and found oil leaking. The question is: should I have it replaced on site or wait till I get home again in April? Or is it sometning else? We are not touring but stay in one place in Spain. It's 1100 miles back to home.
Alan :( :(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alan,

The damper is an important part of the outfits braking system, and personally I would be concerned at the possibility if it looses any more oil it may seize up preventing the caravan brakes from working at all or locking on..Also I don't know where the oil is appearing, but if its anywhere near the hitch I'd also be concerned at the possibility it might contaminate the snake reduction device if you have one fitted.

So not only are there two safety concerns, there is the legal aspect of using a vehicle with defective brakes. The choice is of course yours, but I'd be looking to get it rectified so I had full confidence in the brakes and not committing an offence which may e picked up in the event of any incident or check.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am with the Prof on this one. Get it done in Spain for the reasons he gives. If you have cover for it then ring the insurer.

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks, both. The oil is not leaking now as we're on site. It appears under the bellows at the front of the hitch. Raywood suggestion to about insurance - I have cover for both car and caravan for breakdown. I'll call them tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts