Caravan in one name insurance in another?

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Would this cause a problem?

Checking out insurance prices yesterday, I was asked who's name is the caravan in?

I was never asked this when we purchased our first van 3 years ago.

1)Should the caravan be in the name of the owner of the van?

2)If the caravan was in my hubbies name and the insurance was in his name and I was towing the van would I be covered if I had an accident?

Allyson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't see how this is a problem, as caravans are not formally registered. If an insurance company wanted to get sniffy about cover, they could ask for evidence of ownership. This would be proved by showing who entered into the contract to buy, and who actually paid for it. For a husband and wife there shouldn't be any problem at all.

But I would always recommend getting insurance from a well known name, even if it does cost a bit more. Cheap doesn't always mean good.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for that Mike

I had never been asked the question in the past and was asked it when I rang the CC for a quote, they also wanted the chasis number?

Caravan Guard, not sure if I should mention thier name but I am not saying anything nasty so I think it's ok,covered our last caravan and they were very good when it came to making a claim. So I think we will stick with them, however they have changed their underwriters to Legal and General, so I hope they will continue to give good service, I'm sure they will.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I would tell them it is jointly owned, and that the policy should be written in both names, so that either or both of you are fully covered.

I had a similar issue on house insurance, which I insist on being in joint names; if it was in one persons name, and anything happened to that person, the cover would cease!

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Allyson,

What you must do when you take out the policy is to notify them that you are insuring the caravan & X is the owner. Not usually a problem if the 2 are married, partners or related, if you fall outside of these criteria, they may ask why, but at the end of the day it really does'nt matter who's the owner & who's the insurer, just as long as there is no intent to defraud the insurance company.

Fact, my wife owns her car and is the registered owner, the car is insured in my name with her & daughter as named drivers (done this way, as I have a company car & this is the way for me to maintain my no claims discount, & yes I do know about direct line's named drivers on their policies earning NCD in their own right).

To answer your question number 2, When being towed, the caravan is covered by the towing vehicles insurance, NOT the caravan's insurance, so as long as you are the policy holder of the tow car (or a named driver on that policy) the you are covered.

BUT one word of caution, CHECK THE LEVEL OF COVER ON THE TOW CAR'S POLICY, if it's not fully comprehensive & you have an accident & it's your fault, the insurance won't pay for the repairs to your car OR caravan's damage.

Oh & by the way, don't forget to let your tow car's insurers that it will be used for towing, most policies include towing a trailer (& for insurance purposes a caravan is a trailer) but there's no harm in declaring it & that way it's on record & they can't wriggle out of any claim.

GeorgeB

PS how'd the collection of the new van go?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just another point worth mentioning regarding car insurance.

If, as most of us have, you have a towbar fitted to your car, TELL your insurance company, as it is classed as a modification!!

As many insurance companies try every trick in the book to refuse a payout in the event of problems, not declaring the "mod" may cost you in the case of a claim.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Damian

I rang our car insurance company and they said that was not classes has a modification in their books, but thanks for advising me anyway.

At the same time I asked them about Road side Recovery and they could beat the Yellow van company I am with now by around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts