Caravan Jacks

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
How many people have had a puncture or wheel trouble and have not had a suitable device to lift their caravan or motorhome safety. You have been provided with a spare wheel (deemed necessary by the manufacturer) but no proper lfting device which is made specially for your van and provided by the manufacturer. We would very much like to know your thoughts on this matter as you are provided with a suitable lifting device for your car but nothing for the caravan.The car lifting device is not suitable for your van, a bottle jack is not safe and too deep, a trolley jack is too heavy and a scissor jack is too weak.How have you solved this problem safely?

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Dusty for your comments. Still do not feel happy about having to go under the caravan to place the jack and lift the chassis and also rely on the steadies and bits of wood.

Not sure I understood your last comment about if the spare wheel is accessible etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joyce, if the spare wheel is stored under the caravan, with a puncture you may not be able to slide it out until you have raised the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty your excellent advice omitted to say as Alko do in their instructions LEAVE THE CARAVAN ATTACHED TO THE CAR

I failed to do this and as the base of the jack is so small the caravan moved and fell off fortunately onto the axle stands

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry JohnG. Actually I did not say uncouple the caravan after pulling on to the levelling blocks so by implication I assumed that you would not. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Dusty did not wish to sound critical it was just that after the falling off the jack happened to me I needed to get the point across that the car should remain attached to the caravan until the jack has been removed as Alko state in the instructions.Regards JOhn

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I am interested in Joyce's comment that the car's jack is not suitable for lifting the caravan as this is what I use. All that is required is a small bracket which mimmics the jacking point of the car fixed to the chassis on each side near to the wheel. This jack is capable of lifting one side, ie half of, the car which should always be heavier than the caravan so is more than able to cope with half of the weight of the caravan. It also saves a lot of weight, my two brackets probably weigh less than 1lb, a lot less than a trolley jack which unbelievably some people carry.

Maurice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joyce your reply reminds me of such a system I had on our first caravan in 1967.The chassis on the Bluebird Europe 3 was the old type with rails that extended to the side of the caravan.We had two square section tubes with an extended side to bolt onto the caravan chassis and used a VW car jack.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joyce your reply reminds me of such a system I had on our first caravan in 1967.The chassis on the Bluebird Europe 3 was the old type with rails that extended to the side of the caravan.We had two square section tubes with an extended side to bolt onto the caravan chassis and used a VW car jack.
Sorry Maurice I meant !!!

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Maurice you have ben very lucky to be able to adapt your car jack to fit your caravan. Friends tell me many caravanners are been hurt by using adapted jacks and bits of wood to jack up their caravans to change a wheel as the caravan can easily fall off the jack. Even if the jack is supporting the caravan and slightly attached you still have to go under the van to connect and utilise. If on the side of the road the traffic could easily cause it to dislodge or even fall off. I am not sure how I would convert my car jack or even feel confident using it on my double axle caravan and whether it would go high enough to lift the van. I would prefer something that is purpose build for the job and does not put me in danger. I know the AL-KO jack does attach but you still have to go under the van and it is a light and hard to use especially on a double axle. Anyone any other suggestions?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I have tyre problems when caravanning I call out Britannia Rescue to deal with it, surely the whole point of belonging to a breakdown organization is to make use of its facilities .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I have tyre problems when caravanning I call out Britannia Rescue to deal with it, surely the whole point of belonging to a breakdown organization is to make use of its facilities .
But then you have to wait for up to an hour for them to turn-up. You could be well on your way in that time.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Like you Dusty, I would rather deal safely with the problem myself and be on my way than have to wait with family on the side of the road at night and possibly in bad weather. Or miss a ferry or rally. We travel abroad alot and the resue services do not always arrive within the hour. Also you can hardly call out the AA etc if you wish to work on your van at home or change a wheel. I still need to find a suitable lifting device which is safe and does not make me go under the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You do not need to go under the van with the Alko jack as the fitting is to the side and the tongue from the jack locates upwards into the bracket against the outer edge of the chassis.You have to get down to locate the jack but all winding is done from the side of the caravan.

It is quite hard to turn (REMEMBER STILL ATTACHED TO CAR FOR SAFETY) and I prefer to use a small trolley jack under the chassis at home and they are available much cheaper than the Alko and need a lot less effort.They also can be raised without being under the van once the jack is positioned prior to lifting.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Joyce

Surely the point you are making is that given the high cost of new caravans today why are the manufacturers not supplying a safe and properly engineered lifting solution suitable for their product just as we all expect to be supplied with our motor vehicle.

In my opinion it is an emphatic YES and just one more example of how the caravan manufacturers are always ready to shift prices upwards each year whilst acctually giving less.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joyce

Surely the point you are making is that given the high cost of new caravans today why are the manufacturers not supplying a safe and properly engineered lifting solution suitable for their product just as we all expect to be supplied with our motor vehicle.

In my opinion it is an emphatic YES and just one more example of how the caravan manufacturers are always ready to shift prices upwards each year whilst acctually giving less.
Exactly Paul, having just purchased my first caravan and negotiated a spare wheel to be included I was dumfounded when I asked where the jack was.......... Sorry Sir, you don't get a jack!!, what's the point of a spere wheel without a jack?. So off down to by a jack at Machine Mart for

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Maurice you have ben very lucky to be able to adapt your car jack to fit your caravan. Friends tell me many caravanners are been hurt by using adapted jacks and bits of wood to jack up their caravans to change a wheel as the caravan can easily fall off the jack. Even if the jack is supporting the caravan and slightly attached you still have to go under the van to connect and utilise. If on the side of the road the traffic could easily cause it to dislodge or even fall off. I am not sure how I would convert my car jack or even feel confident using it on my double axle caravan and whether it would go high enough to lift the van. I would prefer something that is purpose build for the job and does not put me in danger. I know the AL-KO jack does attach but you still have to go under the van and it is a light and hard to use especially on a double axle. Anyone any other suggestions?
Don,

I don't have to 'get under' the caravan to use the jack, my little bracket is on the outside of the chassis side member and in use the jack is outboard of that. Only a hand has to go under the van and if the corner steadies are lowered as a precaution it cannot fall far enough to trap just a hand.

Maurice.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi I had a bad experience last month I went to get my van off the axle stands. A tight squeeze for a 18 stoner,I use a trolley jack let one side down and started to let the other side down slowly because it will hit the side of the car port?. To late the van started squish me it was luck I still held on to the jack handle I managed to jack it up enough to slide out.What had gone wrong?. I had the jockey wheel to high making the back low. I had also put the steadies up I bent one once whilst lowering it to quickly.I have done this ritual many times with out incident why was the front so high I don't know I was in a rush. The wife asked why didn't I shout I could hardly breath. I have what looks like a wide sissor jack no instructions not sure how to use it. it is nearly as heavy has the trolley jack it was with the van when I bought it.

Mick P

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fred - I totally agree with you on this one, however as a backup I bought a 2 Tonne Trolley Jack from Machinery Mart its in a plastic box and weighs 9 KG.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I received my PC magazine on Friday and was horrified to see a standard bottle lack resting under the rim of the chassis without additional support.

I have made up a pair of brackets, (right and left hand), for my chassis and bottle jack which is an efficient safe method of lifting, I am an engineer so the making and welding of the brackets was not a problem. I have simply used a strong right angled bracket which sits under the chassis and bolts through the exisiting holes, I have welded a circular disc to locate the head of the jack on a side bracket which in turn is welded to the upright at a height which will allow the jack to fit - even when they tyre is flat. I have never had to use it on the roadside butI have tested it at home and have complete peace of mind that in an emergency I can change a wheel quickly and safely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts