caravan legs

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
we have an old 1987 compass omega 430 and the back leg wont come down weve tried allsorts ,does anyone have any ideas how to free it or does it need replacing?if i do have to replace it does anyone know if it will be hard to do or is it better going in to repair shop/

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Darren

I have found that sometimes a caravan leg if too enthusiastically wound back up jams in its recess - especially if things are a bit old and bent.

Plenty of WD40 sprayed and left for a good few hours then carefully turn the screw as well as teasing the leg down using a large screwdriver as a lever has worked for me.

It is also worth getting down on you back and laying under it to see if the leg housing has been knocked out of shape and is fouling the leg. Easily done and again you can use a large screwdriver to gently ease the housing back to shape so that the leg can be released.

That said - new ones are fairly inexpensive and are easy to fit. BUT - do make sure you get one that matches your caravan as when we had a new one fitted, when you put the "brace" on it, it fouled the bottom awning rail. Not a huge problem but one that can be avoided if you get a new "leg" with taller "feet".

Does that make sense? Time for a cup of tea I think!!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Just to add to Clive's answer, if the screw does turn then gets gradually tighter then stops, then the screw is bent and would look at a replacement.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
the leg will wind but any sort of pressure and it either pushes up or you can pull it down without using the brace i wondered if it could be the winding plate and if so how do you replace it

May 20, 2005
Visit site
This happened to me last time I used the van my wife had lifted the leg and had over done it, when we got home I went to lower the leg and it would not move. On closer investigation I found that the worm block at the top of the leg had split allowing the worm thread to just turn with out the leg moving. I phoned Barrons who said they keep them in stock cost me

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Darren et al

Talking to a Guy on Holiday who had the same problem with his van and the answer was quite simple - despite having had his van serviced by very well established main dealer there wasn't a spot of lubrication on any of his steadies. He followed the tip above (with success) - but in the longer term you really should use a lithium based lubricant

Monkey's Husband

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
thankyou everyone for your suggestions we have replaced the worm plate screw thingy which was split and will re-attatch the leg this weekend fingers crossed we can get it back on thanks

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
thankyou everyone for your suggestions we have replaced the worm plate screw thingy which was split and will re-attatch the leg this weekend fingers crossed we can get it back on thanks
sorry meant worm block...thats what we replaced

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
This happened to me last time I used the van my wife had lifted the leg and had over done it, when we got home I went to lower the leg and it would not move. On closer investigation I found that the worm block at the top of the leg had split allowing the worm thread to just turn with out the leg moving. I phoned Barrons who said they keep them in stock cost me

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When i first started caravaning i drove of with one of the legs down this bent the leg and twisted the screw .It was easy to remove the leg at the road side by removing the screws. when we got to the site we lowered the 3 legs and got some blocks of wood of the warden to prop up the missing leg. Wnen i got home i put the leg i a vice and straitened it including the screw thread rod .With plenty of oil the steady was as god as new .So if i were you i would remove the steady from the van and with the help of a vice /,oil/.nonce /, and elbow grease you will repair the leg easy Coljac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts