Caravan Mot by 2017

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not all MoT stations that test Class 4 cars have the facilities as it is to test larger Class 4 vehicles like panel vans and motorhomes so our choice will be very limited. Caravan workshops won't want to put the training/equipment investment in, IMO.
The brake testing facility would need a hitch post fixed at varying distances from the brake rollers to test the over-run brakes. I'm not aware of any trailer brake performance requirement specified in law, unlike cars where minimum efficiency is specified.
The hitch fitting isn't straightforward - it has to cope with 50mm non-greased, 50mm greased, 2" (older trailers or US imports), pin/jaw and Nato loop.
The electrics is a nightmare because there's no legal specification on plugs/sockets - we currently use 13-pin as part of Type Approval but low volume trailers don't need to be Type-Approved - we used to use 12N/12S under NCC standards but caravans weren't required to be NCC approved - there's absolutely nothing to stop us using whatever plug/socket we wish.
We just have to hope that the UK's politicians do the same for caravan MoTs as they did for car 2-year MoT's - opt out of the EU Directive.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Class 7 is what you refer to,3000kg to 3500kg.As things stand at the moment VOSA are very quickly doing away with their own run Testing stations and privatising with to private companys.These are known as ATF,S(authorised testing stations).They are located all over the uk,i have four in my area alone.All of them can test from cars to LGV.There is no issue with size or wieght.
The requirements you state Rodger will not be a problem,there are not that many multiples to deal with,with the ones you state.This is one of the best ideas to come from the EU.I have to laugh because if the testing was to be done for free,most people would jump at it.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
UPDATE 2
The vote has been taken (2nd July 2013)
Here is the the latest reply... it looks as though he actually read my email and has responded accordingly.

Thank you for raising your concerns with me over the extension of the MOT test to include caravans. The position of Labour MEPs on this issue was to exempt all trailers below 3.500kg from the MOT testing regime. However this position was not shared by many in the European Parliament. The use of caravans which are in un-roadworthy condition has been known to cause road safety problems in some EU countries and there was concern that untested potentially unsafe caravans would continue cross borders and cause incidents on their roads.

I am in regular in contact with my Labour colleague Brian Simpson, who leads on transport issues for Labour MEPs, he was campaigning to get all trailers up to 3,500kg removed from the MOT testing regime. However, whilst the majority of MEPs could accept that trailers under 750kg be excluded from the testing regime they could not agree that trailers from 750kg to 3,500kg would be excluded.

Labour MEPs have tried to negotiate a middle position - push the threshold up to 2000kg, so that it would be trailers from 2000kg to 3,500kg that would be subject to testing. However the majority of MEPs could only accept the 2000kg threshold for trailers on the condition that this did not apply to caravans, meaning that all caravans from 750kg up to 3,500kg would be subjected to testing and not just those over 2000kg.

I hope you will find this helpful, even if it may not be the result you had hoped-for. Please feel free to write to my office on this or other issues in the future.

With best wishes
Peter Skinner (MEP)
Regards
paws

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
seth said:
Im all for caravan mot,s after all why not they do use the highways.I would probably say both my motorcycle and my 33 year classic lorry do far less miles a year than the van yet they both need testing by law and rightfully so.Its not going to be a problem,a well serviced van wont change one year to the next.
As for the massive investment,what actually extra would be required to test a van?I can think of three items extra.
1,An adaption on the four poster i.e length of channel for the jockey wheel to run on.
2,A Scrutineer to work the road lights.
3,A form of equipment to work the service brakes,although i would expect the brake calculations could be done on the handbrake as there is no proper parking brake fitted.

A MOT is only good for the day it is issued so that will not reduce the virtually non existent accidents due to a caravan being unroadworthy. It will not stop speeding, overloaded or badly loaded caravans on the road. It will not stop caravans with 20 year old tyres that have hairline cracks as that is not a MOT failure if the tread is legal. I am not sure how they will go about testing braking, ATC etc. Testing lights will be a doddle.
IMHO test centres will only be near large cities which will mean taking a day off work as the site will not have storage facilities and you will not be able to leave the caravan there until "later". I believe in the EU the cost is about E45.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree Surfer,
I have witten to my local MP on the subject as it seems british MEPs are out numbered, to call for a boycott on the legistlation at home,
and leave each EU country to make it own rules. it may mean an added cost of touring abroad, but at home were fine thanks!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
I agree Surfer,
I have witten to my local MP on the subject as it seems british MEPs are out numbered, to call for a boycott on the legistlation at home,
and leave each EU country to make it own rules. it may mean an added cost of touring abroad, but at home were fine thanks!!
We can opt out of any EU legislation, if we have the political will to do so at Westminster - the MEP vote is still irrelevant at this point until we know whether the UK will opt out of this measure or not.
There's a very long-standing international (not just EU) reciprocal arrangement that vehicles that meet their home regulations are permitted as temporary visitors, up to 6 months, in any country so touring abroad shouldn't be affected.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
RogerL said:
There's a very long-standing international (not just EU) reciprocal arrangement that vehicles that meet their home regulations are permitted as temporary visitors, up to 6 months, in any country so touring abroad shouldn't be affected.
Not quite. For example, in the days before 2.5m wide caravans were allowed in the UK, foreign visitors weren't allowed to bring their 2.5m wide outfits into the country.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "For example, in the days before 2.5m wide caravans were allowed in the UK, foreign visitors weren't allowed to bring their 2.5m wide outfits into the country."

Yes they could,and did.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Damian, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a German outfit pulled by a Passat saloon that in UK would have been a less than optimum match, but which had no problem on the long climb out of Bath.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Agree with Damian, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a German outfit pulled by a Passat saloon that in UK would have been a less than optimum match, but which had no problem on the long climb out of Bath.

Clive,
Without knowing the realtive weights and other information you cannot tell whether a match is good or not, interstingly you then point out that it manage the A46 old Gloucester Road, I assume you mena going up hill so it can't have been bad.
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote "For example, in the days before 2.5m wide caravans were allowed in the UK, foreign visitors weren't allowed to bring their 2.5m wide outfits into the country."
Yes they could,and did.
Maybe they did, but it was not legal. (according to information that I received at the time from the DfT). Theoretically, they could have been turned back at the port of entry.
otherclive said:
Agree with Damian, I couldn't believe my
eyes when I saw a German outfit pulled by a Passat saloon that in UK
would have been a less than optimum match, but which had no problem on
the long climb out of Bath.
It depends on what you call an optimum match. Don't forget that no-one on the Continent has ever heard of an 85% weight ratio recommendation. Towcars are frequently chosen to tow right on the legal limit. (Road tests in Continental caravanning magazines are also always carried out at maximum towload).

ps: German registered caravans have always had an MOT equivalent.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Give me a break Prof, I have been caravanning in UK and Euroope for long enough to know that a 2.0 petrol Passat saloon ( about 54 reg style) towing a large wide German caravan would not meet the UK's guidance of 85-100%. I have looked at German van weights for some years as I've fancied a Burstner or LMC but they were always significantly heavier than UK vans of equivalent length. The fact that it towed up the A46 doesnt prove much at all other than the powertrain was capable, although I supect the max tow weight was in excess of the cars kerbweight. Its not unusual for a cars max tow weight to be significantly in excess of its kerbweight, or the 85% guide. viz Kia Ceed touring at 2000kg.
But I agree with Lutz that the regulations for German outfits are different to those in UK and no doubt since it met German regulations it was legal to use in Uk.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Lutz said:
RogerL said:
Not quite. For example, in the days before 2.5m wide caravans were allowed in the UK, foreign visitors weren't allowed to bring their 2.5m wide outfits into the country.
Was anyone ever stopped at the ports because of that, let alone prosecuted?
Are mainland European cars stopped at the ports because they don't have an annual MoT equivalent test?

Any European country which imposes entry restrictions IF the UK opts out of caravan MoTs will show the EU for the farce it is sometimes as no such restriction will be imposed on EU visitors from non-EU countries.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
Lutz said:
RogerL said:
Was anyone ever stopped at the ports because of that, let alone prosecuted?
Are mainland European cars stopped at the ports because they don't have an annual MoT equivalent test?

Any European country which imposes entry restrictions IF the UK opts out of caravan MoTs will show the EU for the farce it is sometimes as no such restriction will be imposed on EU visitors from non-EU countries.

surely this purely hypothetical with no firm evidence and risking a clash on forum etiquette! We will all have our say on such matters if the Conservatives win the election, and there will be a lot more at stake than caravan MoTs. LOL

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....to be pedantic 2.5 metre wide caravans have always been legal in the UK.

Until the recent legislation change such a caravan had to be towed by a vehicle weighing more than 3500 kgs.
Showmen have had such caravans for years usually pulled by trucks and sometimes behind another trailer!
Similar to the fact that the Bailey Retreat can only be towed by a vehicle weighing more than 3500kgs due to its length.

For what it is worth I still expect the UK to opt out of a caravan MOT.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lutz said:
RogerL said:

Nonsense of course they were allowed to bring in their 2.5m caravans. In addition Hobby in the UK sold many 2.5m caravans prior to the legislation as they could be legally towed with the appropriate vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS