Caravan mover

Jun 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi I've just made introductions on the new member area and I was hoping I could ask for some advice that I didn't see a general topic upon when I searched.

It's about motor movers, after replacing some practical parts of my van I'm looking to find some ease with it and the obvious choice for that is a mover, but where do I begin?

I have seen used manual engage ones on eBay around £400! The new towsure master mover is £599 DIY fit.

should I opt for the used power touch classic or the new towsure master (with fitting £928 !)

How much should I expect to pay to have the used one fitted? I'm a mess at this and will second guess the best decision so looking to see what others did with their old caravans with mover retrofitted.

Thanks a lot
Earthgirl

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I would suggest a Google (other search engines are available) to find a mobile caravan engineer in your area and ask for a quote for fitting.

Jun 8, 2024
Visit site
I just sprang to buy the used one from eBay before I saw your reply. Looks like I'll be getting a full and complete powertouch classic (manual engage) motor mover, now just need to find someone to fit it for me. Location Staffordshire moorlands.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi I've just made introductions on the new member area and I was hoping I could ask for some advice that I didn't see a general topic upon when I searched.

It's about motor movers, after replacing some practical parts of my van I'm looking to find some ease with it and the obvious choice for that is a mover, but where do I begin?

I have seen used manual engage ones on eBay around £400! The new towsure master mover is £599 DIY fit.

should I opt for the used power touch classic or the new towsure master (with fitting £928 !)

How much should I expect to pay to have the used one fitted? I'm a mess at this and will second guess the best decision so looking to see what others did with their old caravans with mover retrofitted.

Thanks a lot
Earthgirl
I fitted Emover MMs after watching this video as it provided instructions. Actually fitted them twice now as swap to new caravan. Straight forward to do. You will need torque wrench, settings are in instructions that come with MM. Installation is straight forward. I choose automatic version, no crossbar to fit but running cables is lot more work as extra wires make it tight in conduit. Manual should be easy to engage just use a drill which can also be used for legs.

View: https://youtu.be/dCYugFsyCO0?si=Tfq0bgmXdJbpnSxL

Don't shorten wires, gives you option to transfer to another caravan like I did.
After engaging make sure you check 20mm gap, may have moved slightly. If gap is to wide risk drive wheels slipping and caravan running away on a slope.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
If you buy 2nd hand get seller to demostrate them running. Doesn't need to be fitted to caravan. Just need to see motors run both forwards and backwards.
I doubt an installer will fit used ones and if they do, there won't be any warranty. Better to pay new and get 5yr factory warranty.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you buy 2nd hand get seller to demostrate them running. Doesn't need to be fitted to caravan. Just need to see motors run both forwards and backwards.
I doubt an installer will fit used ones and if they do, there won't be any warranty. Better to pay new and get 5yr factory warranty.
Good advice as easy for seller to set up to do a demonstration. If they refuse walk away.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Bear in mind that the power touch needs quite a hefty shove with the brace against the spring to engage or disengage it. Would you find the emove easier to engage as you just wind it with the brace onto the tyres until the viewing windows shows green (instead of yellow). If you have a nearby caravan outlet they may have demo models to try before you buy!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bear in mind that the power touch needs quite a hefty shove with the brace against the spring to engage or disengage it. Would you find the emove easier to engage as you just wind it with the brace onto the tyres until the viewing windows shows green (instead of yellow). If you have a nearby caravan outlet they may have demo models to try before you buy!
I used a telescopic wheel wrench with my Powrtouch as tge supplied wrench doesn’t give much leverage.

Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I too use Carafix for servicing, they're very thorough - but for anything other than a simple repair they seem to refer customers to an AWS colleague near Nottingham - specifically incuding motor mover fitment.
Thanks. Not used them for anything other than servicing.

OP Could try Dan Carroll at Perfect tow. Who I have also used. He does a variety of work and gets excellent reviews. Don’t know if he would go to Staffs Moorlands but he has a workshop in Ripley Derbyshire which is probably only an hour away.

Mel

Jun 8, 2024
Visit site
Thanks very much for the considerate replies, In answer, I don't think I'll need to consider slopes much as the mover will not be used on a slope .. apart from when we bring it home but my truck driver other half will take care of the home parking.

It's flat where I am in leek , itll mostly be used to easily hitch up caravan to car as I'm normally a solo traveller and the alignment is impossible on my own sadly without someone shouting 'right hand down, straighten up, reverse, left hand down ' . At the appropriate times (you get the picture) oh also gave been told at CACC site where I have my storage pitch that they are not insured to help me hitch /unhitch etc. so to continue enjoying my caravan I must get myself some ease.

The seller on eBay comes highly rated, helpful I'm sure they will demonstrate the mover working fully and show me it has everything it needs to work as they have listed it as fully complete. Turns out my caravanning neighbours have the same classic mover and rate it highly. I will get the additional torque wrench that it needs to get moving in the best way, as someone has recommended.

Yep just about to get the appropriate drill bit up make life easy with the corner steadies and rock pegs for awnings. It's all a good learning curve and quite enjoy looking for suitable replacement parts for my van. Absolutely would have loved the newer mover but can't justify price tag, particularly when it's highly likely I'll need to replace leisure battery and perhaps other things before the service /fitting has taken place.

If I'm not happy I have PayPal credit buyer protection so I'll be able to claw my money back the same afternoon.

You're all lovely, thanks for sharing advice.

Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure how you are using PayPal but just be aware that PayPal Friends and Family offers zero protection.
Mel

Jun 8, 2024
Visit site
PayPal credit card, on this occasion. Yeah I'm aware that friends and family does offers no protection in terms of getting money back. I only use that for genuinely paying friends for things.

Reactions: Mel
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Make sure the seller hasn't shorten wires, ask for length. Do some quick measurements and figure out how long they need to be to reach where controller will be mounted on your van. . Ideally close to battery box.
Also installation instructions, these are critical as you can't guess bolt torque settings.

Jun 8, 2024
Visit site
Good call, I've just downloaded the instructions off the internet. I've just checked and you can buy a new wiring kit from spares for around £20. As that's so cheap I'll probably get that anyway as if there is a chance they won't be long enough (something I hadn't considered)

Jun 8, 2024
Visit site
Morning all, wanted to finish this thread with an update. I collected the motor mover which is in fantastic condition for it's age with all parts including fitting instructions. We were shown it working attached to the battery so I'm very happy that my £400 spend was nicely done.
Using nationwide autos there is a flat fee of £203.99 for fitting, and there is a mobile engineer that comes to you.
I have checked with CACC and I can make the appointment and then let them know so they can let the engineer in. There is more than a 14 day lead time at the moment so I don't expect it fitted before the end of July.

There is one piece missing which is 19mm blocks that I need to source prior to fitting, but eBay is good for things like this.

Finally, I need to replace my leisure battery, I was looking at getting a 12v 110ah battery from eBay. There are lots retailing under £100. Meaning my retrofit motor mover should come in at £700 in total which was the set budget in my mind (I didn't want it to cost more than the towbar and fitting which was £728! 😁

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Morning all, wanted to finish this thread with an update. I collected the motor mover which is in fantastic condition for it's age with all parts including fitting instructions. We were shown it working attached to the battery so I'm very happy that my £400 spend was nicely done.
Using nationwide autos there is a flat fee of £203.99 for fitting, and there is a mobile engineer that comes to you.
I have checked with CACC and I can make the appointment and then let them know so they can let the engineer in. There is more than a 14 day lead time at the moment so I don't expect it fitted before the end of July.

There is one piece missing which is 19mm blocks that I need to source prior to fitting, but eBay is good for things like this.

Finally, I need to replace my leisure battery, I was looking at getting a 12v 110ah battery from eBay. There are lots retailing under £100. Meaning my retrofit motor mover should come in at £700 in total which was the set budget in my mind (I didn't want it to cost more than the towbar and fitting which was £728! 😁
We have a large twin axle caravan and find that 95ah battery is more than ample for our 4 wheel drive motor mover. Do buy the cheapest battery as you may need to replace it a year or tow later. Numax or Yuasa batteries have a good reputations.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site

You can get batten that size that would do the job🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts