Caravan Movers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are considering getting a caravan mover and would value comments on types, pricing, fitting, ease of use etc. Our front drive necessitates backing the van up a slight incline and manouvering it into position through 90 degrees, or possibly into a tight location in front of the garage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only you can decide if the fitting of any kind of mover is worth it! You need to balance the benefits/drawbacks of each system against you own perceived or real needs. However can I raise some of the issues that you might consider before taking a decision?

Generic types - There are basically two types of movers currently available.

Those that fit to the front of the caravan A frame (ball hitch or jockey wheel), that have their own battery,

And those that fit to the caravan chassis and drive the caravans own main wheels.

Availability- The A frame types need to be fitted to the caravan each time you want to use it, and it must be removed for towing. So If you want the mover on-site you must make provision for carrying it and its battery in the car or caravan and in doing so consider if you would need to lift it in and out. The chassis types are fitted and stay with the caravan at all times.

2) Weight - The chassis types are heavier than the A frame types thus reduce a caravans payload capacity by a greater margin.

3) Effectiveness - Regardless of the type of mover in use it is a physical fact that the pulling or pushing force (Drawbar) is directly related to the weight (Down force) on the driven wheel. A frame types have only their own weight and the nose weight of the caravan, whilst the chassis type benefits of the weight of the whole caravan on its driving wheels. This simple fact has a major impact on the safe usage of the mover.

The amount of drawbar required is dependant on the surface conditions, so having a clear understanding of the land types it will be used on is essential and will affect the type of unit you choose. If your need is to be able to move a caravan over hard flat surfaces, then the A frame types will perform quite adequately. For rough or uneven ground the chassis type will be more effective

4) Safety- Consider a flat surface leading to a downward ramp. On the flat surface either type of mover will move the caravan with safety. But starting down the ramp the weight of the caravan will start to push the mover, and could cause it to skid and loose control. The A frame units are more prone to this problem than chassis units

5) Cost- In general, the A frame types area cheaper than the chassis types, but cost isn't everything, so it is vitally important that you consider the job you will be asking the system to perform.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter, we have just come back from looking at caravan movers, and trying them out.

IMO they are brilliant and we are having one fitted to our new van, when we finally decide which van to have.

The Carver is the one we have gone for, and turns a single axle van almost on its axis, for a twin axle van, its not quite as good, but excellent in any case.

They certainly seem to cause some interest from passers by, seeing a remote controlled caravan, moving under its own power...

At the moment, Chichester Caravans have an offer going, mover, fitted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi peter, the best by i found was from powerproducts have a look at there website ,i had it fitted at christmas and it will do anything i ask of it my drive way sounds a bit like yours no problem.put it like this after 20 years with a caravan i would never have a van with out it now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Namesake! We've been caravanning over 45 years and now have a difficult rear entry for the caravan. We've tried the powered jockey wheel and the mini tractor but finished upo with the chassis fitted version and we went for the powrwheel, the 'slow start' gives great confidence. Cheers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Message for Tom,

The first reply at the bottom of this thread is based on experiance and sound engineering principals. I deliberatly shy away from recommending any particular model or make, prefering to give factual reasons both for and against the two generic types. However getting off the fence, and based upon my own preference and the vast majority of responses from other caravanners on this (and other) forums, I think it is clear that the chassis mounted varieties offer the best performance over all the normal circumstances.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a motor mover big foot. We used to have to assemble four adults to move father in law's caravan into position on the garden then six to push our twin axle van onto the drive. (we store his van at our house, as they live in disabled accomodation). If they wanted to go away for a weekend without us we had to move our van to get theirs out, and get the troops out too. Now we can do the task on our own as the motormover is far more controlable. I can even use it on my small garden waste trailer as all you need is a jockey wheel clamp on the draw bar. It was the best

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a million to all who responded to my initial query re the pros and cons of carvan mover. What an informed lot you all are and how very pleasing to realise that you are all prepared to take the time and energy to rspond to queries such as mine. I am extremely grateful to you all ( as no doubt many others are when people share their skills and experiences. I have now purchased the Power-Mover - because of its 5 year guarantee and its slow start mechanism. Thanks once again for assisting me in being able to make an informed choice very much appreciated. Sincere Regards Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts