Caravan Newbies!

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have just bought a Bailey Ranger 550/6 and don't know a thing about caravanning, but are eager to learn! Can anyone recommend sites in UK where we can take our dogs walking, (forests etc) Thanks!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Depends on how far you want to travel lolly and what part of the country you are in. Theres 100s of nice sites for dogs. If you give us more info you will probably get a lot of replies. If you search this forums posts under this heading you will probably find some also :O)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi lolly,

I have just the site for you - our dog loves it, and is well within your 4 hour drive. If you are joining the CC and are not bothered about using a site within no amenities, then The Covert at Swaffham , Norfolk is ideal.

The site is actually an old WW2 army camp, alot of the pitches are actually on concrete so you can't put an awning up, but there are also lots of pitches in the wooden areas where you can use an awning. It is actually in the Thetford Forest, so it's a treat for your dog. One small piece of advice is to make sure your dog is well protected against ticks, as there are alot of deer in the area - a dose of Frontline will do the trick.

Happy caravanning.

Wendy.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
The Caravan Club site at Carsington Water, in the Peak District is great, good dog walks on site, located in the middle of a forest.

For your first few outings, you may want to go to Caravan Club sites - you are guaranteed some of the best facilities - toilets, showers, etc. Also larger pitches than the "commercial" sites and most are predominantly hard standing with the option of a grass pitch if you want (good weather only).

You don't need to be a member to use (most) CC sites, you won't get the member discount though.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For a longer break as you live in Rutland, try Widend Caravan Site at Marldon, approx. half way between Torquay and Paignton. Very clean family run site with great dog walk - its up to you how far you wish to walk. Also very reasonable rates for caravanning. Small bar area, outdoor heated swimming pool, shop and part time take away. Great site for both countryside and beach and for children.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lolly, now here's some advice that sounds daft, but you'll be pleased to have followed it I'm sure. When you get your new van, if you haven't already got it, book in to a site fairly near home for a weekend, say 1 hour max away. You're bound to have left some important piece of kit behind - never forget the corkscrew! Also, if funds permit, try to equip the van with it's own crockery/cutlery/pots & pans etc, and bedding - that way you can easily whizz off for the odd weekend without having to load/unload too much. Essential tools to take I find are a Stanley knife, hammer/mallet, pliers, wheel brace & van jack, string/rope, range of screwdrivers and an adjustable spanner. Have fun!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the caravanning fraternity. I am sure you are going to thoroughly enjoy your holidays. You could try:

Caravan Club Sites:

Chatsworth Park, Bakewell, Derbyshire

Blackwall Plantation, Carsington, Derbyshire

Incleboro Fields, West Runton, Norfolk

The Sandringham Estate, Norfolk

Cirencester Park, Gloucestershire

Clumber Park, Nottingham

Kielder Water, Northumberland

All the above have excellent facilities for both two/four legged friends.

These are all CC sites which have excellent facilities (as have all the rest of the Club sites) but are exceptionally good for walking dogs.

Why not join the Caravan Club and find out more for yourselves, it is well worth the money (in site fee savings alone!). I doubt that you would regret it.

Hope this info is helpful.

Happy vanning.

Ann

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts