caravan novice

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi to you all,I'm looking for some advice and guidance from you please.I am looking in to buying a second hand caravan,nothing to fancy.Thinking of a 4/5 berth,there's the wife and myself 3 children 11,9 and 7 and our 3 week old baby.Going to try and get 1 with an awning.

The thing is i haven't got a clue!Firstly my car,i have a Seat Alhambra 1.9 tdi,will this be ok?Do i need insurance on the caravan?Will i need to change my car insurance to cover towing?

Any help and advice much appreciated.Have only been looking on Ebay at the moment,see whats about and try and grab a bargain.The reason we're looking in to getting the caravan is that now our eldest has moved up to secondary school we can't take him out in term time and everywhere is just so expensive in the school holidays.

Thanks again.

Pete

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Be very careful...... There are lots of postings about 'scams' on ebay - have a look but don't buy without seeing, and a good inspection - make sure there' no damp, and that you're not being asked to send money without having seen the van. Have a look at the second-hand section of this website - used by caravanners, so likely to be an honest bargain.

We bought privately, from a supermarket ad, when we got our first van - and since then have bought new. Just have a look around the dealers, too, and make sure you know what layout will suit your family because you'll need quite a lot of room.

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Pete,

Car

as long as you avoid very large double axle vans - you car is widely recognised an excellent towcar. I have a 1.9 Galaxy whichis, in effect the same car.

Insurance

you will need to take out separate insurance on the caravan which fully covers both towing, usage and storage. You do not need to do anything re your car insurance. Insurance will probably be between

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Peter,

only one thing I would add to some really good advice, let your car insurer know that your towing a van,. They don't charge but it's nice to have it recorded !!!

Val & Frank

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Pete,

As a fellow novice i can heartily recommend visiting your local caravan centre to have a look round. You dont have to buy from them but it will give you and idea what it is you actually want. Fixed bed, end bathroom, size, etc etc.

I've just completed the looking process and settled on a lovely 1997 Bailey Ranger 470/4. Absolutly perfect and about 3 grand less than i was expecting to pay.

Dont be in any rush to buy though as by holding the cash you have the best seat fopr bargaining

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts