caravan over 7mtr!! cant get car insurance

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
ive just discovered that my insurer does not cover my car to tow my caravan which is 7.5 mtrs in length.im due to go away on monday and my insurance is up on the same day,does anyone know of a company who will insure??thanks in advance russ.

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
Last time I looked it wasn't legal to tow a caravan with a body length (not including the drawbar and coupling head) over 7m on uk roads unless you have a tow vehicle with GVW of over 3500kg. Commercial vehicles. Width limits were due to change earlier this year but not lengths. If you do tow with a car that would most likely invalidate your insurance completely.

We looked recently at getting a Hobby which was over 7m's to put on seasonal pitch but wanted the option of towing it occasionaly if we wanted to move sites. All advice was not to tow over this length. Caravan insurers said unless law changed the caravan would not be insured in the case of an accident whilst towing with unsuitable vehicle and we would also not be covered for third party claims or public liability. Our car insurers didn't seem to know much about caravan legislation initially but when we got them to look into it their legal department said the car insurance and again third party and public liability would also be invalidated by towing an illegal vehicle.

We decided against it.

wendy

Aug 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello Russell

I had the same problem recently.

Is the 7.5m the body length or the shipping length?

My insurance company stated 7.0m length but they were talking about body length. My van is within the 7.0m body length.

It didn't really matter in my case, I didn't accept the renewal quote and changed companies.

Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts