Caravan Safe - Security Issue!!!!!!

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
We are travelling abroad with our caravan for the first time next year and wanted some advice as to what additional security measures we should take.

We want to keep our passports and valuables safes (eg, kids DS consoles, cameras etc) We thought of purchasing a safe, but a) these are heavy and b) how do we secure one to the caravan.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Sam

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sam-this is always difficult in caravans. However, caravan design being the way it is usually creates places and voids other than cupboards and drawers, that you can use to hide things. After all a thief is likely to want to be in and out of your van as quickly as possible and not spend time looking for your hidey holes. Use the car too-I wouldn't leave valuables in it at home, but on site its more secure than the van, especially the boot. But....chap on our site in France this year had his van broken into, car keys gone, then Merc gone. Gave everyone the jitters as you can imagine

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Why don't you consider fitting one in your car as it would be a lot safer as at least the car has an alarm etc. You could bolt it down with shear nuts and it should not affect the value of the car.

Gav

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
a smallish safe somewhere in the boot or engine bay. i drive a range rover so theres ample places to stash a small safe in the engine bay and even if the car gets nicked if its then found its unlikely a joy rider will be looking under the bonnet!!

G

You've got lots of shelves and cupboards and lockers and lighting fixtures and cooker and fridge housings. And the bathroom and vents.

Just be a little inventive and no one will find your valuables ;)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Passports can be tucked down the side of a cereal box or the like?

Also separate your credit cards like this:

Both carry only one that is the same issuer.

Bury a second set from a different issuer in the van and yet a third set from another issuer buried in the car.

Together with each set have a list of the notification numbers for all issuers so if any get lost or stolen you can readily cancel that one and get on with your holiday without further concerns.

We actually needed our own advice when the wife inadvertently left her card wallet in a phone booth!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Ive got a Eldis van with a side berth and where the slats go back into I found there was space to fit a small safe ( http://www.caravan-safe.com/)

To get to it you have to raise the bunk and remove side table.

So I thought as mentioned above the thief would want to be in and out so he would never find it!!

G

As mentioned, there are many nooks and crannys you can hide things. We bought a small cash box and lock things inside that. It then gets hidden away under abed locker.

By the way it is also a good idea to photocopy your passport pages, and keep them separate. If it did get stolen you can at least show the UK Consulate the copy to help them with getting you a replacement. If you travel abroad leave behind all the cards and passes etc you will not use. It can also be a good diea to have 2 xard accounts, one in joint names and a 2nd in either yours alone, or your wife's. Then if fate befalls you somebody can still get cash.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
put it next to the toothpaste in my van it will never be found lol
we havent got our van yet, hopefully next weekend, but a good point and something id not thought about.

how about put your passports etc in a zip lock plastic bag, then put that inside another plastic water tight bag and stick it in the loo pan, shut the lid, no-one will look in there!

then when you return and need to use teh loo again, throw away the outiside bag and replace with a fresh one, the contents inside the zip lock bag remain dry and clean so dont need removing.

or, hide passports in the outside compartment next to the removeable toilet waste, if anyone looks in there id eat my hat1

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
we havent got our van yet, hopefully next weekend, but a good point and something id not thought about.

how about put your passports etc in a zip lock plastic bag, then put that inside another plastic water tight bag and stick it in the loo pan, shut the lid, no-one will look in there!

then when you return and need to use teh loo again, throw away the outiside bag and replace with a fresh one, the contents inside the zip lock bag remain dry and clean so dont need removing.

or, hide passports in the outside compartment next to the removeable toilet waste, if anyone looks in there id eat my hat1

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Years ago we had a trailer tent and had the same dilemma. I found another website that suggested getting hold of a large money box, drill a hole approx the size of a 10p piece in the bottom, next get hold of the screw part of a dog chain (the bit that looks like a big corkscrew) behind the skirt part for the awning screw the money box to the ground (providing its not hardstanding)put your valuables in the box, lock the lid and you cant lift it as its screwed down, long winded i know but we did use this method every time we camped and our valuables remained safe.

Y

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I think the safest thing with passports and important documents is to keep them with you at all times - except perhaps on the beach. Get some shorts with deep side pockets, with secure fasteners on them! Spread money and credit/debit cards over several places. Cameras etc. can be hidden, separately from each other, in the car/van as suggested by others. The main thing is don't keep all your eggs in one basket!

Always record all important information (passport numbers, card serial numbers, insurance policy numbers, phone numbers for banks and insurance companies, travel details) on a piece of paper, keep one in your wallet/purse, hide one in the car, and leave one at home in a place that could be accessed by a friend/relative as a last resort (you can phone them and tell them where to look).

Hope this is helpful

Keith

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I think the safest thing with passports and important documents is to keep them with you at all times - except perhaps on the beach. Get some shorts with deep side pockets, with secure fasteners on them! Spread money and credit/debit cards over several places. Cameras etc. can be hidden, separately from each other, in the car/van as suggested by others. The main thing is don't keep all your eggs in one basket!

Always record all important information (passport numbers, card serial numbers, insurance policy numbers, phone numbers for banks and insurance companies, travel details) on a piece of paper, keep one in your wallet/purse, hide one in the car, and leave one at home in a place that could be accessed by a friend/relative as a last resort (you can phone them and tell them where to look).

Hope this is helpful

Keith
Just before we left to visit our daughter in Singapore my wife found a good tip for passports and travel documents, Photograph everything with a digital camers, upload and put into emails addressed to YOURSELF.

Should anything happen, you can retrieve the info at any Internet connection.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site

Hope this is helpful

Keith
Hi,

A Bit late with this input, however It may help. I've had a safe fitted in my van for years, luckily its never been used in anger. However I do think it provides added security.

I fitted my safe on the floor inside a cupboard. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the safe then marked the floor where the safe was to be fitted. Select short coach bolts (Mushroom heads)or cut longer coach bolts down such that they protrude into the safe from below the floor (under the van) by about 15-20mm fit heavy penny washers then either spring washers below the nuts or use nylocks. Ensure that the bolt holes are a tight fit for the bolts so when the nuts are tightened it is drawn tight to the underside of the floor, the safe is virtually impossible to remove by the thief without causing serious damage to the floor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts