Caravan Security

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
We have just purchased our first caravan and obviously want to make it as secure as possible. It is already fitted with an IDM alarm with a Tilt Sensor, it also has an AKS 1300 stabiliser so we are getting a Coupling Lock, and a Bulldog Euro Clamp for the wheel. Now reading through an old Practical Caravan - Guide to Caravan Security leaflet, I read with interest about the Airmuscle K-Nut Towball Bolts. These are special nuts that you attach to your towball preventing would be thieves from unbolting your towball from you car and bolting to their vehicle and driving away. However I have been unable to find them on the internet. I would be very interested in other people views on these bolts, also if there are any other alternatives and where these can be obtained from.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Phil - Airmuscle are no longer with us! I to have used some of their products - most noteably the excellent "Steady Ties" - but I am reliably informed that they ceased trading a while ago! Very sad!!!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Phil, as an alternative just butcher the end of the bolts with a hammer and chisel but check they are still tight as this can loosen the nuts off

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst caravan theft is a serious issue, we can be just a little too paranoid at times.

Caravan thieves want a quick steal, not spend time unbolting a towball, and then more time bolting it back on another vehicle, particularly as this is probably whilst you are in transit, and the chance of being caught is very high.

If you take any extra precautions, dont forget that it may be YOU who wishes to change towballs, and if you have "butchered" the bolts,imagine how difficult it is going to be.

If you are worried about it being stolen from a motorway service area, why leave the van?

You have on board toilets, cooking facilities and drink making facilities, all at a fraction of the cost of the cafes, and more importantly of much better hygiene standards than the cafes.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Whilst caravan theft is a serious issue, we can be just a little too paranoid at times.

Caravan thieves want a quick steal, not spend time unbolting a towball, and then more time bolting it back on another vehicle, particularly as this is probably whilst you are in transit, and the chance of being caught is very high.

If you take any extra precautions, dont forget that it may be YOU who wishes to change towballs, and if you have "butchered" the bolts,imagine how difficult it is going to be.

If you are worried about it being stolen from a motorway service area, why leave the van?

You have on board toilets, cooking facilities and drink making facilities, all at a fraction of the cost of the cafes, and more importantly of much better hygiene standards than the cafes.
Hey Damian

I think we were missing the real point/bonus of having a caravan for a moment, until your last statement about Service Stations. You are absolutely right - Who Needs Cafes.

We have only just moved up to a caravan for just those reasons.

I think I will just keep the security devices I have and make sure we use them and get adequate insurance.

Thanks to John and Big Roy for your responses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts