Caravan Service completed remotely

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It’s not necessary for service centres to have a direct link to Swifts database. When I bought my pre owned last caravan its service handbook had been fully stamped. But Swift don’t accept that. So when I contacted Swift about a warranty claim for the replacement of a cracked rear panel I was told only one years service was on record. So I had to contact the two dealerships that had carried out years 2 and 3. Initially they were reluctant to provide the service record and invoice, citing data protection of their customer. But with suitable redactions they sent me the records which I duly forwarded to Swift, who then authorised a warranty replacement for the rear panel.

So much easier if when a caravan has been serviced the service or AWS technician can upload it directly to Swift. So anyone buying a pre owned Swift still within the warranty period should make sure Swift have the required service records, or as a minimum the records are available with the caravan documentation. Put bluntly “ No records, no warranty”
When I bought my last Challenger two and half years old. Registered with Swift, form in hand book, and got 6 years damp warranty transferred as second
owner.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I bought my last Challenger two and half years old. Registered with Swift, form in hand book, and got 6 years damp warranty transferred as second
owner.
Presumably the first owners services had been uploaded to Swift either by a dealer, an AWS technician who does that or by the owner.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s not necessary for service centres to have a direct link to Swifts database.

Clive. Are you sure?
I merely quote Swift own latest Warranty.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not necessary for service centres to have a direct link to Swifts database.

Clive. Are you sure?
I merely quote Swift own latest Warranty.
Swift dealerships and approved service providers will undoubtedly know that service details should/can be uploaded to Swifts database. But there will be others who aren’t Swift approved but AWS or other providers who may not be aware of the requirements or just don’t fulfill them. But the customer can still provide Swift the data. The key provision being that the caravan is serviced iaw Swifts requirements which mirror the NCC AWS schedule.

My experience was 2017/18 so things may have changed.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought a brand new Bailey Ranger a few years ago and the first service and we had it done at the dealership it was roughly thirty miles each way from home and but after that we had it service at the storage site by approved Bailey AWS Mobile Engineer to keep the service book fully stamp up in case we sold it or part exchange it in the future ,

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
When we bought our Cabrera the service book was stamped but the dates were all over the place due to Covid, according to the dealer. To be sure I emailed Bailey and asked them to confirm that the service record was in order. They confirmed and I have printed a copy of their email confirmation.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid the discount on buying from a remote dealer is generally not worth it. Just going back for warranty work will cost hundreds and may even involve staying near by to get you there in the morning as hey open. Quite simply the sales and workshops are different profit makers and many dealers simply cut the sales profit margin to get the sales and when it comes to warranty work you are way down the list or the cost simply is not worth the time and trouble. One or two seem to simply not want to now you after the sale.
You will also bring your trade in and they will look for faults to try and squeeze a bit extra out of you. I have heard of them taking two hours checking out the trade in and also of false damp claims where they use condensation as an allegation of damp.
Buying from a good local dealer may cost a bit more but is far safer in the long run.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Ours goes back for its next service in July (our first on it) so we'll see, however we've already told them of a couple of minor faults and they've said they'll happily fix them when we bring it in.

As for the trade in we made sure it was absolutely spotless and they spent no more than five minutes looking at it. Many traded in van apparently come in filthy so not surprising the dealers give them a thorough check, they even told us of trade ins which come in with full toilet waste tanks!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You will also bring your trade in and they will look for faults to try and squeeze a bit extra out of you. I have heard of them taking two hours checking out the trade in and also of false damp claims where they use condensation as an allegation of damp.
Buying from a good local dealer may cost a bit more but is far safer in the long run.
When trading in to collect our caravan on the same day, we had that issue with a dealer who tried to knock off £3k. They claimed there was damp around the water inlet for the flush.

Luckily in the car, I had the invoice for the repair in that area which had been done by a dealer about a month previous. It was a known issue on Lunar caravans and I think they took a chance.

Also said we would be leaving without the new caravan and claiming back our deposit. Amazing they said they would accept it with the supposed damp. As it turned out we had no option except to reject the new caravan 10 months later.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When trading in to collect our caravan on the same day, we had that issue with a dealer who tried to knock off £3k. They claimed there was damp around the water inlet for the flush.

Luckily in the car, I had the invoice for the repair in that area which had been done by a dealer about a month previous. It was a known issue on Lunar caravans and I think they took a chance.

Also said we would be leaving without the new caravan and claiming back our deposit. Amazing they said they would accept it with the supposed damp. As it turned out we had no option except to reject the new caravan 10 months later.
I guess you’re not on their current Christmas Card list 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have not read the warranty recently but generally work can be carried out by a competent person which will be defined in the warranty. On that basis the work should still allow the warranty to continue if I am correct but check the wording as it can vary even from one year to the next.
Provided it is not the engineers work that causes a further problem your rights under the CRA will continue although they are getting a bit difficult to enforce this long after purchase.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I use a mobile AWS guy rather than the dealer. The dealer has too much to lose if they find any warranty issues, so they may be tempted to not find them. The AWS guy is cheaper, comes to me and is approved by the manufacturer - best of all he has no reason to hide issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts