Caravan shifts when motor movers are disengaged

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks

Ok this is the second time we have had this issue and wondered if anyone else has?

When lining up the wheel alloy to place the ALKO wheel lock on using motor movers, we then put the brake on and then release the motor movers

But when we release the movers, the caravan shifts and the allows the wheel to turn slightly, moving the lock section out of alignment

Are we being dafts and there is a simple way of stopping the wheel turning, so we can get the ALKO lock on and fit correctly?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No your not daft, !!!!
What I tend to do is motor mover, into position just before the Alko lock aligns, hand brake On, then just MM back enough for the handbrake to rise to full lock, then disengae the MM, after a while you get to knowhow far the van rolls back
Or get the Alko in line and place wheel chock front and back of the wheel..

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Hutch

Just when you mention, hand brake on and ‘hand brake to rise to full lock’..

How do you mean to rise to full lock?

The brake is on full lock once you pull it up anyway is it not.. :unsure:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No, it is not. You pull the handbrake on, and it will be at about 45 degrees, if you lean on the van pushing it rearwards, the handbrake handle will rise to 90 degrees. And the brake will be fully on then.
Someone might be able to describe it better.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fit the Alko lock once it's lined up, ie before you disengage the motor mover.
I found doing that, at times the caravan moves, and when you come to remove the securing bolt, it can have a sideways load and hard to remove.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I found doing that, at times the caravan moves, and when you come to remove the securing bolt, it can have a sideways load and hard to remove.
If that occurs you just use the mover to move the caravan backwards or forwards a fraction. Thsts the technique I have used from day one and it has served me very well. Don't be concerned about bending the bolt or the receiver, they are hefty bits of kit!

Reactions: Buckman and RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If that occurs you just use the mover to move the caravan backwards or forwards a fraction. Thsts the technique I have used from day one and it has served me very well. Don't be concerned about bending the bolt or the receiver, they are hefty bits of kit!
Being an engineer, I am always concerned about loads on items that are not designed to take loads.
I appreciate your method of removing the load on the lozenge first.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I had that problem, simple solution leave MM on until you leave, no movement. Right or wrong it works for me. Oh and I leave the brake off,
Other half just read this and said it can leave grooves in your tyres? Somewhere she read this 🤔

Could it harm the tyre if on and pressing against for a prolonged period of time?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sometimes I have to jack up the side to fit the two locks. A TA, As soon as the Jack is lowered the wheels rotate placing a heavy load on the locks making undoing hard. As per Mr Plodd I just use the lover the release the tension. No need to leave handbrake or more on . If on a slope the old Milenco yellow chocks come out

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Other half just read this and said it can leave grooves in your tyres? Somewhere she read this 🤔

Could it harm the tyre if on and pressing against for a prolonged period of time?
If you left the MM permanently engaged while in storage that could happen, but not for half an hour while fitting the two locks.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
But once you let off the motor mover the caravan would shift, therefore putting pressure / tension onto the lock. Which might be hard getting out when leaving.

I think the chock idea would be better, that way the locked wheel wont move

We do have the locknlevel but haven’t used it yet, as it was pouring of rain when we set up yesterday.

Although the LnL would not be getting used on a very flat pitch.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But once you let off the motor mover the caravan would shift, therefore putting pressure / tension onto the lock. Which might be hard getting out when leaving.

I think the chock idea would be better, that way the locked wheel wont move

We do have the locknlevel but haven’t used it yet, as it was pouring of rain when we set up yesterday.

Although the LnL would not be getting used on a very flat pitch.
We never had an issue and it was OH that removed the two locks. Yes there was a slight amount of tension, but nothing to stop removing the locks. We never ever left the LnL in position when storing the caravan. We managed and we were both in our sixties at the time. Now we no longer have that issue and have no issue fitting or removing the locks on our twin.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts