Caravan side repeater direction indicators

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I have recently changed from a 1995 Swift caravan to a 2011 Swift.
The 95 caravan was 6.25 meters long and was manufactured with front side repeater indicators.......an important safety feature IMO.

2011 caravan 7.4 meters long not fitted with any side repeater indicators.......this means I will have to fit some myself :rolleyes:

Cost saving at manufacture at the expense of customer / user safety?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Where were they located on the previous van? My front running lights on the caravan sit low gown below car bumper height. Not great positioning either.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Must the bargain basement model you bought Bill! Our van is also a 2011 Swift but does have 3 repeaters down each side.
I agree with you on safety - this one too many penny pinching moves

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Must the bargain basement model you bought Bill! Our van is also a 2011 Swift but does have 3 repeaters down each side.
I agree with you on safety - this one too many penny pinching moves

Repeaters or Running Lights?

My 2018 Sprite has front (white) running lights and side (Orange) running lights and a rear side marker with white and red front/back. The only lights that flash with the indicators on the car are in the rear clusters. I assumed this is a regulatory issue and not a penny pinching one.

So I had a quick look through the 'The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989' and it seems to suggest that only motor vehicles need a side repeater: "A trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 drawn by a motor vehicle: One rear indicator.. "
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/10/made

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly what I have been thinking my Sprite which is almost identical to yours is the same same version for lights I've been thinking to same thing !!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I am aware that the law states that amber direction indicator side repeaters don't have to be fitted to caravans and that has always been the case.
The current law requires amber side marker lights which my 2011 Swift has ....3 each side.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

........ amber direction indicator side repeaters (circled in red) as fitted as standard on 1995 Swift.

indicator.png

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
That's exactly what I have been thinking my Sprite which is almost identical to yours is the same same version for lights I've been thinking to same thing !!

...........most likely because you are a trained large vehicle driver and are aware of the dangers.
PS.................I am a retired LGV1 driver.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Craigyoung said:

...........most likely because you are a trained large vehicle driver and are aware of the dangers.
PS.................I am a retired LGV1 driver.

You didn't need licence for a Dray horse and Waggon.

harveys-shire-horses-with-a-dray-cart-credit-scott-carruthersala.jpg

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
I am aware that the law states that amber direction indicator side repeaters don't have to be fitted to caravans and that has always been the case.
The current law requires amber side marker lights which my 2011 Swift has ....3 each side.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

........ amber direction indicator side repeaters (circled in red) as fitted as standard on 1995 Swift.

I've seen that light before (on stationary vans) but did not know it was an indicator.
How much difference does it actually make for other motorists? I'll be honest, I've never seen a long vehicle with side indicators on a trailer.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You'll find that a lot of vans - wagons have the side marker lights but also indicators Incorporated within them and flash then go back to being side lights .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Smart car 2.7 meters long and 1.54 meters high.............has to have a side indicator repeaters by UK / European law.

Caravan 7.4 meters long and 2.9 meters high lawful not to have one fitted.......Ridiculous!

.....especially as the caravan masks the tow car rear indicators from the viewpoint of adjacent vehicle drivers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Smart car 2.7 meters long and 1.54 meters high.............has to have a side indicator repeaters by UK / European law.

Caravan 7.4 meters long and 2.9 meters high lawful not to have one fitted.......Ridiculous!

.....especially as the caravan masks the tow car rear indicators from the viewpoint of adjacent vehicle drivers.

But surely the car will have side indicators as they have been a requirement for many years now. Newer cars also have repeaters on the cars mirrors too. So I think most circumstances are catered for.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Job done..........side direction indicator amber repeaters duly fitted :)
I was used to having them on my old Swift ......I'm happy now ;)

20190308-144431.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts