Caravan site nr Kidderminster.

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Looking for advice on sites nr kidderminster where we need to be for a long weekend early November(6th and 7th). Anything nice within 10 or 20 minutes drive. Looking for a nice site though, one you guys can highly recommend.

Thanks........................Bob

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bob

Both of the nearest main C&CC sites at Wolverley and at Clent Hills close for the end of the season on November 2nd.

That leaves Doddingtree Farm and Yew Tree farm which remain open.

Doddingtree Farm

http://www.siteseeker.co.uk/aspx/details.aspx?id=138014&clearSearch=N
Yew Tree farm

http://www.siteseeker.co.uk/aspx/details.aspx?id=138013&clearSearch=N
Both are near to the main road and can be affected by traffic noise.

Both sites have adequate but not exceptional facilities, updates are needed to the toilet / shower blocks of both sites with Doddingtree having the edge.

Doddingtree is slightly more expensive than Yew Tree and at Doddingtree awnings are charged extra.

Yew Tree has an excellent pub / carvery right next door which can be reached through a gate from the site and there is a general store and newsagent across the road.

Both sites are easily within twenty minutes of Kidderminster and for me Yew Tree is the pick of the two in that price range of between

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I forgot to add that the first two sites are closer to the SVR and Tornado is visiting the railway the week before your visit.

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou Parksy.

The temptation of the SVR and of course Tornado is extremely high, I was disappointed to find I couldnt stay at the Unicorn Inn in Hampton Loade. I didnt know that Tornado was at the SVR that week......now I am definitely making a visit there.

We have a 60th birthday of friends who live near Kidderminster, thats why we are visiting from Uttoxeter....we dont do hotels or B&B's, we have a caravan for that purpose.

So, thanks for your info, Stanmore Hall did come upo when I was searching earlier...I am gouing to have a closer look at that.

Thanks for now............Bob.

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Thankyou Parksy.

The temptation of the SVR and of course Tornado is extremely high, I was disappointed to find I couldnt stay at the Unicorn Inn in Hampton Loade. I didnt know that Tornado was at the SVR that week......now I am definitely making a visit there.

We have a 60th birthday of friends who live near Kidderminster, thats why we are visiting from Uttoxeter....we dont do hotels or B&B's, we have a caravan for that purpose.

So, thanks for your info, Stanmore Hall did come upo when I was searching earlier...I am gouing to have a closer look at that.

Thanks for now............Bob.
You won't go wrong at Stanmore. We stayed there (wife, me and lad) in the summer and the site, facilities and staff are all A1 as other posters have said in the past.

We're off to their Oxon Hall site at the weekend. Can't wait.

Bonus : All Morris leisure sites are having a 4 nights for 2 offer at the moment :eek:)

Cheers,

MM.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As an enthusiastic steam train buff I was extremely disappointed with the SVR. In my opinion it is the worst steam preservation line I have ever been on and very poor value for money.

I saw Tornado a few months ago when she pulled an excursion from Bristol to Swansea. It was a marvellous site and I had a beautiful picture of her steaming west out of Bridgend station but I do not know how to enclose it on here.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As mentioned a top site is Stanmore Hall at Bridgnorth. Bridgnorth is the other end of the line and I know people who are going there to see Tornado

G

Colin,

I am saddened that you found the SVR so disappointing. Perhaps you can explain in a little more detail. I am a shareholder of that Organisation, albeit a very tiny one aand although I have never been able to visit, I obviously have an interest in it being successful. I know the SVR had a major problem with flooding last year and are still trying to get back to normal, but that is something really outwith their control. They have a long line compared to most preservations and therefore a greater chance of problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SL - the nostalgic atmosphere at Bridgnorth station was very good. My wife and self paid our money for the return trip to Kidderminster and prior to boarding I was pleased to see the train was being hauled by a LMS "Black Five". Although the preservation lines are restricted to speed I did expect a little bit of performance from such a majestic engine. We left the station and the whole journey was interupted by constant halts for one reason or another - I could have got out and walked faster. As we passed the West Midland Safari Park the view was completly obliterated by hoardings - young parents were trying to hold their children by the windows to see the park but all we saw was hoardings. The return journey was just as bad with constant unexplained stops. All in all a very disappointing trip.

The best run for steam preservation in my opinion is the run from Paignton to Kingswear in Devon. The line follows the coast with spectacular views. A close second is the West Somerset line from Minehead.

G

I agree that it would be nice to get a little more speed,especially if a large mainline engine is being used. However, as you know the speed is restricted on all preserved railways to I believe 25 mph, at least that is what was quoted in the Titfield Thunderbolt. I had a similar experience on the North Yorks, when we were pulled by Sir Nigel Gresley and you could feel the driver itching to open the regulator, but could not. Sometimes it is better when a small tank engine is being used as then you get what you kinda expect.

I had a look at the last Report I received and I note they had revenues of $5 million for the year ending 31st December 2008, so not too bad for a railway. Mind you the bars on trains etc made

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SL - if you so wish I have no objections to the Mods. passing on my e-mail address and should you contact me I will forward the photo I took of Tornado pulling out of Bridgend going west. If I may be so bold to blow my own trumpet I think it is an excellent photo - I excelled my self LOL.

G

Colin,

Many thanks for that. Parksy is aware of my e mail address from previous correspondence, so maybe he can oblige.

Does this mean we can start a sub Forum of train buffs? Then we can really bore the pants of everybody. However, as a confirmed buff myself I do not care, although I never really bothered about collecting numbers. However, my children do remember with horror I may add, a holiday a long time ago, when I dragged them round all the small railways in Wales. Of course it rained virtually all the time and my daughter, now aged 34 but aged 8 then, never stops reminding me. But I enjoyed it. My wife is very understanding however, and keeps buying me train and tram models but I admit my ambition is a 5" gauge real steam loco. 50 kg of hot steamy iron hissing away. Sounds like paradise. Maybe one day.

G

Colin,

Just seen on another Forum that you have beaten me to the punch, and we cannot do it. Never mind, we could clog up 'chitchat' but we are not that mean. However, if anyone so wishes there is no reason not to have an outside e mail link up to share things of common interest vis a vis trains.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I used to be able to say that I'd worked on the last British mainline steam locomotive built, Evening Star, but now can't because of Tornado :O)

Evening Star used to be shedded at Ebbw Junction, Newport and I recall working the Rowley Regis tanks relieving an Ebbw crew at Hereford. Another time we relieved Canton men and worked a freight to Crewe where we returned light engine.

I just wish I'd kept my journals now. Although I recall engine numbers I've forgot the trains we worked.

My late FIL was the driver when BR allowed steam back on the mainline and he drove 6000 on the Bulmers Pullman.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SL & Lord B. - with all my recollections of the great steam days I now know and realise that I should have been an engine driver. I truely missed my true vocation in life. Who wants to be a building surveyor when one could have been a steam engine driver.

G

Yes, indeed. However I suspect we are only seeing the good side of it. There is no doubt it was a dirty and dangerous job. My son is a train driver on Turbostars, but he sits in a heated cab. His biggest fear is someone commiting suicide by standing in front of him, because he cannot stop.

G

However, I can add that I will be driving a steam train next year as my kids gave me a driver lesson for a birthday present. So keep well clear of the Telford railway, some time next summer as I won't know me puff from me chuff.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MY BIL is a mechanic at Canton Sheds in Cardiff working for Arriva trains. They occassionally have a steam engine/excursion in the shed but very rare. He is trying to arrange a visit for me to the sheds. As you say SL it was a messy, tiring job on the footplate as LB has many times confirmed and modern day trains are just like driving a bus on rails. They have had quite a few suicides to clean up at Canton - the driver has compassionate leave but the mechanic who has to clear and then check the unit for possible faults has no such luck for leave.

I am a member of the Bridgend Railway - http://www.walesrails.co.uk/bvrs.html - It is a society with the intention of running a service from Pontycymer to Brynmenyn and eventually to meet up with the main line trains at Tondu. We have a two car DMU originally from the Barry Preservation Society who unfortunately for political reasons lost their facilities to the local council. We also have a small shunting steam loco but this is not as yet ready for use.

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies guys...I have booked in at the Stanmore site in Bridgnorth. Although this visit is for a 60th birthday do in Kidderminster....I do have Saturday free for a foray on the SVR, wife permitting.

I went to Derby on Thursday to watch Tornado pass thro on its path to the SVR.....they postponed last minute, and it did the trip on Friday. So I still have to wait to catch up with it......and it will have left the SVR by the time I get there on the 6th/7th Nov.

Good to see there is a healthy interest in railways on here.

Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts