Caravan sites in Dorset ?

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
could anyone recomend a site in the Dorset area for me and my wife and our two girls who are 16 and 12.I have spent many hours looking at various web pages over the last week or so, but still cannot decide on a location, so i have decided to ask my fellow caravaners for help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Phil.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phil, I live near Poole and have been carrying out a fairly lengthy dialogue with jo-anne regarding sites and attractions. She has actually come down to Dorset today for the 1/2 term break. If yoou scroll down the page a bit you should find a subject titled "Recommend sites in Dorset".

What do you want. seaside, country, very commercial, little commercial, CC, C&CC etc. east or west Dorset? I am quite happy to recommend some sites depending on what you fancy.

Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
phil, now I'm getting confused but we have generally agreed on here that it is an age thing. My posts to Jo-anne were not on this web site. still let me know what you want and also time of year etc.

Ray

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Phil, I live near Poole and have been carrying out a fairly lengthy dialogue with jo-anne regarding sites and attractions. She has actually come down to Dorset today for the 1/2 term break. If yoou scroll down the page a bit you should find a subject titled "Recommend sites in Dorset".

What do you want. seaside, country, very commercial, little commercial, CC, C&CC etc. east or west Dorset? I am quite happy to recommend some sites depending on what you fancy.

Ray
Thanks for your response, i was looking for a site that was not to far from a town or a beach. I am a member of the cc but any campsite with good pitches friendly staff and good facilities (possibly a pool) would make our holiday a good one. We are not really a fan of the Haven type of camp site but a local pub in the area or a small bar on site would be nice, because it offers a change to take a strole of an evening to have a cool drink after a day exploring your exellent coast line.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pear Tree Farm at Sandford is a nice quiet site but has no amenities for children apart from a small children's play area. The site and amenities are spotless - the dog walk is the Wareham forest. It is very central for Poole and Wareham whilst Swanage, Dorchester and Bournemouth are not too far a drive away. The village pub, The Clay Pipe, is approx. 5 minutes walk from the site and they do excellent meals, including children's meals, and they also have an outdoor children's play park.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We went to Freshwater last August. I wouldn't go again. Not our scene - too noisy/crowded/cramped.

Lots of amenities (nice chippy, actually!), club, pool etc. Next to shingle beach. Plenty for kids to do.

We're not into camping in fields, but we don't want to be claustrophobic either.

Mac

May 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Phil

We have stayed at the Newlands Holiday Park in Charmouth it has a indoor pool which you pay extra if you want to use it. Nice restaurant, bar, takeaway, shop, bowling alley and walks around campsite. You can walk into Charmouth from there and to the beach. Lots to do in the area only bad point for me was the site is quite close to the main road (I think the A31) and you could hear the drone of the traffic during the night so had to drink lots of alcohol to get a good nights sleep! Good luck choosing it is quite hard to make sure you pick the right one isn't it. Regards Mandy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
phil, taking your requirement of being close to a town for an evening stroll into account and the ages of your children I would recommend East Fleet near Weymouth www.eastfleet.co.uk [no pool though] or Ulwell Cottage Swanage which has an inside pool www.ulwellcottagepark.co.uk

Highland End near Bridport has a pool but is more remote www.wdlh.co.uk

There are of course many others feel free to ask about any in particular.

Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
phil, taking your requirement of being close to a town for an evening stroll into account and the ages of your children I would recommend East Fleet near Weymouth www.eastfleet.co.uk [no pool though] or Ulwell Cottage Swanage which has an inside pool www.ulwellcottagepark.co.uk

Highland End near Bridport has a pool but is more remote www.wdlh.co.uk

There are of course many others feel free to ask about any in particular.

Ray
phil go to www.resort-guide.co.uk and select Dorset. You can then select town by town e.g. Weymouth and get all info about camp sites, there are 22 listed for Weymouth. There is all the info you need regarding tourist attractions etc.

ray

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Phil

Not knowing how old your girls are, does it matter whats on site as long as there is a playing field/area. Dorset has lots of 'off site' attractions such as Abbotsbury Swannery and Monkey World (make sure they carry proof of ID or you may not see them again). There are also lost of cultural features, such as those connected with Thomas Hardy, and geographical/prehistoric links as those highlighted by the Jurassic coastline.

Hope you enjoy Dorset.

Denise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You might like Durdle Dor Holiday park. Its in a beautiful countryside location, with walks across the cliff tops to the sea and down to Lulworth cove. Not far from Weymouth either. It has a website if you try a search on the Internet.

There is a small club house on site which does great meals. I dont know about the entertainment because we have never hung about to see whats on.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Phil, Perhaps you would like to take a look at our website at www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk

We are ideally located 3 miles from Poole and all of the delights that Dorset has to offer.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts