Caravan Slide Outs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ever since visitng Canada I have liked the idea of slide outs for more space. Does anyone know of a caravan with slide-out(s) that is UK legal? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As the slide-out is only operated when the caravan is stationary, there's nothing illegal about such a feature. In fact, if I remember correctly, Knaus offered a slide-out as an option on one of their models a couple of years ago. However, the idea never really caught on, I imagine because the considerable additional weight of the mechanism made the feature unattractive for the pulling capacity of the average European towcar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It isn't the slide out that presents problems, it is the physical size and construction of the caravan they are fitted to that creates problems. Most US caravans are not suited for UK use as they are usually VERY heavy (UNLADEN weights of over 2 tonnes is common), electric brakes that don't conform to European standards, 2" or 2 5/16" towball sizes (depending on caravan weight) which aren't compatible with European 50mm balls, also they are usually longer & wider than permitted to be towed in the UK by a vehicle with a GVW less than 3500kgs. The National Trailer Towing Association web site lists the sizes & weights in great detail. I agree they do look fantastic, but unfortunately aren't really suited for the UK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It isn't the slide out that presents problems, it is the physical size and construction of the caravan they are fitted to that creates problems. Most US caravans are not suited for UK use as they are usually VERY heavy (UNLADEN weights of over 2 tonnes is common), electric brakes that don't conform to European standards, 2" or 2 5/16" towball sizes (depending on caravan weight) which aren't compatible with European 50mm balls, also they are usually longer & wider than permitted to be towed in the UK by a vehicle with a GVW less than 3500kgs. The National Trailer Towing Association web site lists the sizes & weights in great detail. I agree they do look fantastic, but unfortunately aren't really suited for the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts