caravan solar system

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
i have a 2002 abbey 4berth caravan and would like to use it without using an electric hook up. i will be putting on a site for 5 summer months near the coast with no shade.
i am thinking about fitting the following;

3 x 330w quality solar panels

1 x 2000w hybrid inverter

2 x 230ah 12v agm leisure batteries

cables, connecters, fixings and fittings and a cut out switch.

i am going for a 24v system does any know if this will be sufficient

many thanks all lewired

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
i have a 2002 abbey 4berth caravan and would like to use it without using an electric hook up. i will be putting on a site for 5 summer months near the coast with no shade.
i am thinking about fitting the following;

3 x 330w quality solar panels

1 x 2000w hybrid inverter

2 x 230ah 12v agm leisure batteries

cables, connecters, fixings and fittings and a cut out switch.

i am going for a 24v system does any know if this will be sufficient

many thanks all lewired

This is a good resource for information relative to your question.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What you have proposed is significantly bigger than we see in most solar systems fitted to touring caravans.

Without knowing what electrical loads you will have and how much they will be used its not possible to know whether your proposed system will be big enough or possibly too big.

Perhaps if you could enlighten us as to your electrical requirements we could be of more help.

Reactions: Boff
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is a lot of weigh to be carrying on the roof as each panel weighs approximately 18.6kg totalling almost 56kg. The two batteries take another 60kg out of the payload and you will need to be careful where you mount them as at that size one will probably not fit into the battery locker.
The caravan is normally wired up for 12v and not 24v so not sure what electric components need to be changed. Why not stick with 12v?

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
yes it is but the caravan is only travelling 12 miles to the site and i will be taking the batteries in my 4x4 to site.it will stay there permanently then the batteries will be placed in the caravan under the beds 1 on each side with extra 1inch ply on top of the floor i am now thinking of only having 2 x 400w pannels on the roof and may go for 2 x 180ah agm batteries what do you think

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
yes may be they would but agm batteries are more reliable and its best to by the best you can afford because they last longer and take better discharge

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
What you have proposed is significantly bigger than we see in most solar systems fitted to touring caravans.

Without knowing what electrical loads you will have and how much they will be used its not possible to know whether your proposed system will be big enough or possibly too big.

Perhaps if you could enlighten us as to your electrical requirements we could be of more help.

yes sorry i am now thinking of going lower because weight it may be the following

2 x 400w panels and 2 x 180ah agm batteries and 2000w hybrid inverter

i will be running the following appliances :

1) 40" LED TV 4hrs am and 6hrs pm 4/5 days aweek

2) android tv box same as tv

3) wifi antenna and booster with tv and box

4) new 15 inch laptop will run for 4/5 hours in morning then charge in afternoon when i am out and nothing on apart from freezer and same at night time then put on charge during sleep.

5) 1 table top freezer for dogs raw food 24hs a day energy rating (F)

6) pump for water taps 15mins a day

7) caravan shower 2 times a week total 20 mins but double that if daughter comes for a few days

8) 4 led downlighters a couple of hours a day

thats about it roughly

what do you think thankyou

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
yes sorry i am now thinking of going lower because weight it may be the following

4) new 15 inch laptop will run for 4/5 hours in morning then charge in afternoon when i am out and nothing on apart from freezer and same at night time then put on charge during sleep.

7) caravan shower 2 times a week total 20 mins but double that if daughter comes for a few days

thats about it roughly

Don't forget to take efficiency % of the Inverter into account

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
AGM batteries still need venting as they will gas-off if over-charged.
Our AGM battery is inside our car and no issues so must be safe?

Don't forget to take efficiency % of the Inverter into account
Plus lack of sunshine for many days. Over cooler months or winter very little chance of batteries getting a decent charge. Actually the way summer is going at present, even summer may be a problem with that sort of consumption.
A 40" TV will only work on mains and that with teh android box will kill the battery probably in less than 4 hours. No chance of a table top freezer working unless it is on gas.
You need to work out the amp of each appliance and then make some sort of decision.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

thats about it roughly

Ultimately anything is possible, given unlimited money.....

It seems you are looking to make some radical changes to the electrical system, which as a permanently sited caravan is possible.

You have indicated you want to run your DC system at 24Vdc, and I wonder why? I can understand the prevention of copper losses running 12V at high amperages, and how using 24V reduces them, but you then need to find 24V versions of all your DC powered appliances. I suspect the additional cost of swapping the appliances to 24 will greatly exceed the cost of getting big enough cables for the 12V currents.

You do need to consider making all the equipment as efficient as possible to eek out the usage on a limited battery supply.

In particular as Roger has pointed out the efficiency of an inverter can be surprising, and of the two types that are generally available the best (Pure sine wave - kindest to appliances) is typically only 65 to70%, whilst the more efficient ( Quasi or modified Sine wave) - can cause problems with some appliances) can hit as uo to about 95% under absolute ideal conditions.

You mention a table top freezer. I presume you're referring to a compressor driven unit. These are more efficient than absorption cycle fridges, but when the thermostat demands, they can produce quite a pulse of interference on the power line. If your using a mains unit running from the inverter, the pulse has been known to unsettle some inverters. The alternative is to find one that runs on DC supply. I know they exist for 12V dc, but I haven't looked for any 24V ones Running on the DC supply eliminates the efficiency and load on the inverter.

Thankyou for the list, but without their power consumption rates I can't really to the calculations, but it does seem from what you do tell us your power usage will be greater than a normal touring caravan. You need to include solar panels derating to cover for shorter winter days and of course for when the panel are obscured by dirt, snow, dead leaves and shadows etc.

Perhaps you have already looked into these things, in which case if your calculations are correct then yes it will work.

Good luck

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site

Plus lack of sunshine for many days. Over cooler months or winter very little chance of batteries getting a decent charge. Actually the way summer is going at present, even summer may be a problem with that sort of consumption.
A 40" TV will only work on mains and that with teh android box will kill the battery probably in less than 4 hours. No chance of a table top freezer working unless it is on gas.
You need to work out the amp of each appliance and then make some sort of decision.

i a running ever thing on mains via the hybrid inverter which as you pay a lot more for these inverters they do ever thing my hybrid inverter is £400 i have read ever thing about these inverters and they are the best

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
i a running ever thing on mains via the hybrid inverter which as you pay a lot more for these inverters they do ever thing my hybrid inverter is £400 i have read ever thing about these inverters and they are the best
The inverter may be the best, but if your appliances are drawing more than 6amps the inverter will not be very efficient as mentioned in two previous posts.
As we have no idea of the wattage of the appliances you are intending to use makes it more difficult even to guesstimate as also mentioned previously.
However a 40" Tv will probably use about 2-3amps at a minimum. Plus no matter how good the inverter you still need sunshine to charge the batteries

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
well i am no further on then i was before i joined this group so i will just have to call in a solar installer and let him sort it out i know it will cost me but at least it will be right i hope but thank you for your comments

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
well i am no further on then i was before i joined this group so i will just have to call in a solar installer and let him sort it out i know it will cost me but at least it will be right i hope but thank you for your comments
BTE a decent 2000w inverter like a Victron will set you back about +£700. Good luck with your project.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So is mine, under the passenger seat - it's vented down through the floor - AGM is good safety as a car may overturn in an accident with passengers inside, that's not an issue for caravans.

TRENDING THREADS