Caravan Steps!

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
The steps that came with our caravan have become dangerous / wobbly due to rust. I tried welding them back together (miserable failure), and made a set today out of Contiboard (to heavy). So back to the internet. Which are the favored set of steps to get, bearing in mind weight, price, strength etc?. Thx. Simon.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I've just order these depends if you want single or twin.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371680510576?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Try Aldi as they recently had set for about £20 that were great value and perfectly good, if your lucky they'll still have a set left.

BP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If you google Aldi caravan steps it gives a link for steps 2017 and looks as though you can order them online and are 16.99. I know someone who bought them recently who said they are perfectly ok and really pleased.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Having known several accidents caused by caravan steps, two requiring visits to A&E this is an area I treat with great care. IMO you want something that is very soundly "planted" on the ground and spreads the load so feet don't dig in.
Presently, we have and would recommend the big [Giant version] of the Milenco plastic double.
https://www.leisureoutlet.com/steps/steps-and-ladders/caravans-and-motorhomes/11684-milenco-mgi-giant-double-step?gclid=CKGgqPyL_9MCFUko0wode3MC4Q

Don't keep them too long, say over 7 years as a guess, because I know of one case of de-skinned shins when an old plastic step shattered.

IMO the steps are one of the most dangerous bits of kit we use in our hobby.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have had various double steps. The first set were folding steps which were great but eventually got a bit wobbly with age. (Can't remember the make though) The next were Royal brand steps (not folding): awful. Rainwater just formed a puddle on the top of the step which was a slipping hazard, or you just walked the water into the van. We got a set of Kampa folding steps next. Quite expensive as steps go.They are probably very stable but do flex a bit as you stand on them so don't inspire confidence. I have my eye on a set of steps at KImberely Caravans that come with a hand rail that fixes to side. When the knees are not on a good day, it seems like a plan!
Not being very tall the single plastic step that came with the van is just too far down.
mel

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
JTQ said:
Presently, we have and would recommend the big [Giant version] of the Milenco plastic double.
https://www.leisureoutlet.com/steps/steps-and-ladders/caravans-and-motorhomes/11684-milenco-mgi-giant-double-step?gclid=CKGgqPyL_9MCFUko0wode3MC4Q

A set of those came with our van 5 years ago, but we found them very heavy and hence replaced them with those in my previous post.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
JTQ said:

A set of those came with our van 5 years ago, but we found them very heavy and hence replaced them with those in my previous post.

Horses for Course's WC me reckon's :dry:
Had ones like you have (but only a single step) and found that unless the ground outside the caravan door was absolutely flat they would wobble and not very steady due to the amount of footprint touching the floor. Changed to the one JTQ has shown and with only the four corners touching the ground much more stable.

Oh and as I am vertically challenged they enable me to reach the awning rail thus doing away with the 3 tread aluminium steps I use to carry in the front locker!!! :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Seemed a bit pricey, but I wanted to make it as easy as possible for my wife who has mobility difficulty with steps.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-double-step-with-handrail-p367690
Turned out to be an excellent buy, I taped pipe insulation to the contacts points that would contact the bunkladder rails and bungee corded them to aforementioned whilst in transport, no scrapes or scratches anywhere.

OH, they have proved a bit useful to those on unsteady on their feet (shall we say) after enjoying too many coca-colas :p

The support rail is interchangeable to whichever side you prefer.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
JTQ said:

You are mistaken in that they are a newer design that was not made 5 years ago, coming out about two years back.
As for weight, I have checked this having a different view in believing them to be remarkable light, ours weigh 3.6 kgs.
A design failing of Milenco's double aluminium step, in common with many others, is that a foot can slip between the two steps as there is no protection against this type of accident designed in.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless we got a completely wrong set of claims for caravans the biggest cause of claims against owners is people falling off the steps. Basically they should be wide enough, stable and have a decent tread to prevent slipping. Provided they meet these criteria the make is irrelevant look for the lightest ones that conform.
There were complaints some time back about the Aldi steps failing and I am not sure if the fault has beenremedied so do check them carefully if you are looking at them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts