Caravan storage Terms & Conditions

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Just recieved bill for this years storage along with new terms & conditions , one of them being that I remove the gas bottles whilst my van is in storage & I also need to provide a set of keys for the security devices fitted , has anyone else been obliged to do this and will it have any effect on my insurance the fact that I have supplied keys to a third party ? . The storage facility is cassoa registered .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Raymond

Depends upon your insurance company. However, it is usual that where a security device is fitted, if the vehicle is stolen, the first thing the insurance company wants to see is all the sets of keys. Strongly recommend you contact your insurance company and then CONFIRM IN WRITING. Do Not rely on a call centre operator to update your details - we have had many examples of phone call details not being placed on clients files.

You normally have to tell them how many sets of keys there are. So if you have another set made and do not tell them there could be a problem.

If the van is stolen using the keys you left with the storage site - you have a problem

Similarly - if your car is stolen by someone "fishing" your keys out of your house by way of an open window, letter box etc - you have a problem as you will not be able to demonstrate that you have all the key sets in your possession. This applies I am sure to caravan insurance as well. But as I say - contact your insurance company/

We know take our keys upstairs and put them in a bedside draw.

WE USED TO HAVE THEM HANGING ON HOOKS ON THE WALL ABOUT 3 FT FROM OUR LETTER BOX!!!

How stupid was that!!

Finally - Can I tactfully suggest that you should not rely on information given on such a Forum as this. I am sure you would not have done so - but if someone had said here - "yeah go ahead mate - no problem!" - and then your claim was rejected, your insurance company will laugh all the way to their Bank if you relied on such a Forum for advice rather than checking with them!!

G

Raymond,

Just because a storage site is registered with Cassoa only means it is following certain guidelines. The site still has the right to make its own conditions, and if it feels it may need to move your van for any particular reason, then it can request keys. Other Cassoa sites do not wish to have any keys and state that the van is the owner's responsibility. My own van is on a gold Cassoa site but the reason it is wheellocked and tow hitch locked, is to satify the insurance company, not the site itself.

As already mentioned check with the insurance company if they are approving this step, if not, find another storage facility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts