Caravan Theft

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How big a problem is caravan theft? I have just heard an appeal on local radio about a guy who had his caravan stolen from the side of his house. (He also had no insurance.) So does this happen a lot? We are on our 3rd caravan, have always kept it at the back of our house (behind very secure 6 feet high gates) and only have a hitch lock. We have never had any problems with theft. Our insurance company are quite happy with the security so should I be worried? The other question I have regards security on sites. Again we only use an alko hitch lock although I always see other caravans with wheel clamps as well. Have many people had their van stolen from a site whilst on holiday? I must admit to being worried about parking at service stations since reading that post about the van that was stolen from a service station. Again I always leave the hitch lock on whilst travelling but I guess a determined thief could easily drill through the lock quickly so what other security do you all use?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete

Your very luck having an insurance company that doesn't insist on you having a wheel clamp most these days do.

I personally use a wheel clamp and the alko hitch lock on my van and also put the steady's down when at the storage site.

I can't keep my van at home but some people say that more are taken from house holds than of storage sites as most people are out at work all day.

Also some people recon that if you have your van at home people can always tell when you're away but I recon what ever you do people can always tell if you're not at home.

The only other thing is if some one is determined to get your van almost nothing will not stop them.

As long as your insurance company are happy with what your security you have just enjoy what your doing and don't worry to much.

Jon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, my insurance company requires me to have either a hitchlock OR a wheel clamp. I use both as I want to minimise the chances of it being stolen because of the hassle and also because of potentially higher insurance premiums. Mine is kept at home and, yes, it does advertise the act that we have gone away. However, having heard this country being beratted by a UN official because of the way we try to chastise children (only permissable in a very limited way now)and that the odd slap is not prmissible nor is containing juvenil delinquents, then perhaps we must conclude that the criminal is now in the right.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
would love to know which ins co you use as having to take wheel clamp away with us uses up valuable space and payload and as we tend to stay only on "secure" sites often feel the wheel clamp isn't necessary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete, do you really tow with your hitchlock on? In the event of an emergency - a crash or overturn (heaven forbid) and you were injured, how would the emergency services or anyone else be able to quickly separate the outfit?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pete, suround it with a minefield, having read some of the very sad cases of new 'vans being nicked! One small point, we were advised by our dealer that you can get pulled by the police for towing with a hitchlock on, because if there's an accident then they can't easily seperate the car from the 'van, so only out it on when you're parked up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I take the point raised by Mike H and tonye about travelling with the hitch lock on and accidents. (It never occurred to me!!) My worry now would be forgetting to put the lock on when we pull into a service station or somewhere for a quick break. Incidently the key to the hitch lock is always with my car key so quite easy to find in the event of an accident.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts