caravan tool box

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering being a newbie is there a sort of standard requirement when taking the caravan out to keep a tool box on board.What I mean is are there any essential tools you should always carry in case of any mishap

Feb 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Taffy, Difficult to know where to start. I always carry a v comprehensive set of tools in the car, just in case, but admit that this is OTT if you do not have the space with family etc. Try not to load heavy tools in 'van if possible.

A few essentials would be :- Torque Wrench & socket for 'van wheels; Spare Wheel changing Jack; 240v circuit tester; Torch; First Aid kit; Selection of scewdrivers; Selection of spanners incl adjustables; Strong Gaffer tape.

What is essential is really a personal choice, and I am sure many others could / will add greatly to what I have listed.

So hopefully that's got you thinking.

Sit back and wait for advice from others.(Don't be surprised if you need to upgrade you tow vehicle to a 10 ton truck to accommodate all tools that are suggested as "essential" !!!!!

Regards

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Taffy, you will - hopefully - get all sorts of advice.

My favorites are bungee straps assorted, blue tak, cable ties, insulating tape (including self amalgamating) and a seperate set of tools for the 'van - i.e. those having green tape are for the van, those having blue tape are for the workshop and those having yellow tape are for the house. No wonder Screwfix are doing well.

I would include a small multimeter that will give you (at least) volts d.c. Volts a.c and resistance (or continuity) and ideally d.c amp 0-10 and a.c. amps 0-10 but these may push the cost up.

Not quite tools but a selection of hose clips, pipe fittings for water and gas, and a couple of reeels of cable (red and black) would also not come amiss.

Not sure whether you already have a jack.

I've been at this game since 1966 but the tool box has not got any lighter. On the other hand - on a wet holiday day a trip round the local DIY in any country is always a pleasure.

Finally - if you haven't got the particular tool or part - don't hesitate to ask around on site as somebody probably will have and will be delighted to help - many great friendships have started this way.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Taffy, you will - hopefully - get all sorts of advice.

My favorites are bungee straps assorted, blue tak, cable ties, insulating tape (including self amalgamating) and a seperate set of tools for the 'van - i.e. those having green tape are for the van, those having blue tape are for the workshop and those having yellow tape are for the house. No wonder Screwfix are doing well.

I would include a small multimeter that will give you (at least) volts d.c. Volts a.c and resistance (or continuity) and ideally d.c amp 0-10 and a.c. amps 0-10 but these may push the cost up.

Not quite tools but a selection of hose clips, pipe fittings for water and gas, and a couple of reeels of cable (red and black) would also not come amiss.

Not sure whether you already have a jack.

I've been at this game since 1966 but the tool box has not got any lighter. On the other hand - on a wet holiday day a trip round the local DIY in any country is always a pleasure.

Finally - if you haven't got the particular tool or part - don't hesitate to ask around on site as somebody probably will have and will be delighted to help - many great friendships have started this way.
Thks for the feed back so far no doubt there will be other suggestions and I think I will take a cross section of all of them and hope someone on site has what i've missed.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Taffy. You will find that the contents of the magic tool box will become a compromise, as you have to 'weigh' up how much to take against the likely useage. You tend to add things as a result of experience, but I try to have a clear out every so often. You are right to think about essentials: items to stay legal such as replacement bulbs; items to maintain your holiday such a spare waterpump, plus tools to fix. Tools tend to be heavy so you have to be selective. Other things should be universal such as tape, clips, tie wraps, to give you versatility. You get the idea!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again taffy, you will be getting the idea that this is about what's in a ladies handbag and that's about the strength of it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts