CARAVAN TOWING COURSE

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone done the Caravan Club towing course? I am an extremely nervous passenger when towing and thought that if I undertood the course it might help me relax and be less anxious as a passenger. There again it might make me 10 times worse. Any comments, hints or tips to help me out would be great.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
I did the CC manoeuvering course a couple of years ago and found it brilliant. This is basically the second day of the full towing course, as I remember it. My advice would be to book your driver in for the course and turn up with him/her, to watch. I don't think there's a problem with spectators - one turned up with her husband on my course, and they both seem to gain from it.

BG

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Worth doing it gives you more confidence and everybody there is is the same boat.

You never know if any thing happens to your driver then you have to get the caravan home.

I attended a Caravan Club course although the Camping & Caravanning Club also run courses - this was the first time i had towed a van but now three years on the good advice still comes in useful

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Iris I've done the course and it's great for learning about maneouvring. However, you don't say if this makes you nervous or whether it's on the road towing which makes you nervous. There isn't any on road driving on the course, although this is covered in theory on the 1.5 day version.

For on road training I'd suggest the institute of advanced motorists (www.iam.org).

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
Got to agree, the course is great for confidence building for manouevering the van but won't really help a "nervous" passenger when out normal towing on the road.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Iris

My Terri did the CC course last year. It's a saturday and sunday event, hands on. She now tows with confidence and understands how slip streams etc can momentarily give you a "shake".

There were more ladies than men on her course.

Go for it. Nothing to lose.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Iris what makes you feel nervious when you are a passenger when the car you are in is towing compared with car not towing,

My wife falls asleep just as much when I am towing as when I am driving without the van.

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Iris,

Why don't YOU tow? My hubby is disabled anyway, so I have always had to take over every hour and half, or so when on long hauls and when he didn't feel up to driving. Since a heart attach and a then a stroke last Easter whilst on a rally, I do all the towing. Whilst he was in hospital, I had to tow on my own, which felt very very strange. Just the cat nagging because Himself was not there!

If I didn't we wouldn't get out in the 'van and I refuse to stay stuck at home.

Margaret W.

Take the courses, both to watch and also to tow yourself - assuming you can drive!

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Royston

Everything... I think I have read so much about the do's and dont's of towing, snaking, going down hill etc etc that I have frightened myself. We have a heavy van - a Coachman Amara and had to buy a heavy 4x4 to go with it. Before we got the 4x4 we used to have a Mazda 6 Sport but it just wasnt a suitable match although the caravan dealer assured us it was - and we had a really scary moment going up a hill on a bend.

We used to have a lightweight van with a lightweight car but I wasnt nervous then.

Can anyone tell me - is it safer to have a lighter van or does it not really matter as long as the match is 85% or less.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Iris,

Why don't YOU tow? My hubby is disabled anyway, so I have always had to take over every hour and half, or so when on long hauls and when he didn't feel up to driving. Since a heart attach and a then a stroke last Easter whilst on a rally, I do all the towing. Whilst he was in hospital, I had to tow on my own, which felt very very strange. Just the cat nagging because Himself was not there!

If I didn't we wouldn't get out in the 'van and I refuse to stay stuck at home.

Margaret W.

Take the courses, both to watch and also to tow yourself - assuming you can drive!
Hi Margaret

I would really love to and sometimes I think I will give it a go but then nerves get the better of me. I really admire you for what you have achieved - great stuff.

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there are any towing courses in southern part of ireland or do i need to visit the uk and if so i assume that car and van are supplied or can you use your own as that my prove more benificial also how long are they and how much thanks in advance luke

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Iris

Firstly the lighter the caravan the easier it will be but don't go silly and buy a TAB to pull with a Range Rover! you won't know its there!

Secondly My Wife , Helen, passed her B+E test last year she's good driver but not confident of her abilities, it realy helped her she now tows confidenty with our Chrysler Grand Voyager and Elddis Typhoon.

Even if you couldn't look at the full course , you're talking around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Iris thanks for replying (I'M afraid alot of people set questions but never aknowledge the people whom try to help)

If your towing car is heaver than your van thats half the battle won.

I to had a problem where our car was capable of towing the van according to the caravan dealer, but when trying to tow against strong head winds it was useless.

Setting the caravan up with internal weights is a strong key to success, Keeping the internal loose items to the front or on top of the axle wheel arches, never put heavy items to the rear of the wheel arch, also try and keep your nose weight as heavy as possible, Give you a example , most 4x4 have a towball max weight of 100kg or above which is handy if your noseweight for your van is on the higher side.

I myself tow a Bailey Van ,Baileys state in their booklet between 50-10 kg nosewight, not below or above the figures quoted, My car like most others has a max towball weight of 75 kg.

Reason i have just said that, is because when I purchased this van , loaded it up checked the noseweight got a reading of 85 kg so i unloaded several items from the front locker to get the weight down.

Our first trip out was to a site in kent , on the m20 after climbing a steep hill started to descend the other side when the van started to twich this was at 40 mph never ever had this before , made me quite nervious untill we reached our site.

We managed to park on a level pitch, Rechecked the nosewight to find it was just above 50kg, putting the items back into the front locker I managed to get the noseweight back up to 75kg.

Park my van on our drive which is on a slope, this had given me the incorrect nose weight reading.

Since that day i always load the van as per that pitch reading, never everhad anymore twitches , we can safely go down hill towing at 60mpg on motorways, overtaking these very large lorries no problem, their is only one vehicle that I would advise to keep well clear of that is car transporters, they can cause your van to become quite unstable if you get to close behind them.

To keep all the heavy items as close to wheel arches, To keep mine inplace i have cut to lenght a broom handle covered in the plastice waterpipe covering which i locate across the van.

I tow with a vauxhall vectra 2.2 dti estate and the van weighs fully loaded just under 1200 kg.

Royston

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Margaret

I would really love to and sometimes I think I will give it a go but then nerves get the better of me. I really admire you for what you have achieved - great stuff.
Hi Iris,

Thank you for your kind words. Trust me, do the course!!!

Then, should the need arise, you can take over. BUT you must keep your hand in.

All the best,

Margaret W.

Dec 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Royston

Everything... I think I have read so much about the do's and dont's of towing, snaking, going down hill etc etc that I have frightened myself. We have a heavy van - a Coachman Amara and had to buy a heavy 4x4 to go with it. Before we got the 4x4 we used to have a Mazda 6 Sport but it just wasnt a suitable match although the caravan dealer assured us it was - and we had a really scary moment going up a hill on a bend.

We used to have a lightweight van with a lightweight car but I wasnt nervous then.

Can anyone tell me - is it safer to have a lighter van or does it not really matter as long as the match is 85% or less.
Hi Iris,

For safe towing, keep below the 85%. The CC or C&CC will tell you the correct match. Ring them up and say you have such and such a 'van and is such and such a vehicle a good match. The answer will be yes or no.

Margaret W

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Royston

Thank you so much for your very indepth reply. I find all of this caravan information really interesting and extremely useful. We will definately take on board your advice. To be honest we dont really carry an awful lot of weight in the van and the towing capacity of our 4x4 is 3000kg so I dont worry so much about that. Although I do have a fear of the van snaking and pulling us off the road and turning the car - I think that is probably my biggest worry but I am sure that with the weight of our car it would be very unlikely do you think.

Like you said I think it is more about the other traffic around us and big lorries etc passing. If I had a long open road with no other vehicles around I am sure I would relax much more ha ha.

Anyway our first outing of the year is in 10 days time and it is a 3 hour journey. We normally stay closer to home but we are meeting friends half way so I am already psyching myself up for that journey. Fingers crossed all will be well. I will let you know how we get on.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Royston

Hi Margaret

Thanks for that - in fact that is exactly what we did when we bought the caravan and realised our car wasnt a suitable match. We contacted the CC and they gave us info on our now 4x4 hence the reason for buying. I would still much rather drive a car though but nevermind at least we have a good combination so should be safe.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Iris

With a 4X4 with 3000kgs Max tow you shouldn't notice the wieght and the caravan, if correctly loaded as Royston says, shouldn't snake.

as for how you feel driving, i'm a bus & coach driver and also do a bit of training.

My advice is RELAX,

ENJOY the drive.

You have as much RIGHT to be on the road as anyone else.

DON'T DITHER, what ever you decide to do, stick to your guns,

TRUST your insticts.

Finaly, If you make a hash of it LAUGH and say SORRY to any one you hold up.

If they give you greif, SOD THEM, would they do any better?

The above cn easily be remembered thus. R.E.R.D.D.T.L.S.S.T.

WHICH ISN'T EVEN A WORD!

If you get stressed remember the above and i bet you smile!

Good luck, enjoy your Holiday.

Gareth

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gareth

What reassuring words. I have to admit just reading your reply made me feel much braver. In fact I am going to print it off and take it with me on our next trip and if I start getting the jitters I will read it again and again and again.......

Cheers

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gareth

What reassuring words. I have to admit just reading your reply made me feel much braver. In fact I am going to print it off and take it with me on our next trip and if I start getting the jitters I will read it again and again and again.......

Cheers
I'm glad i can help, Positive Mental Atitude is a bit sad and 80's now . but its true, go on the road in the right frame of mind and you're over half way there.

One more point, Your mistakes will seem massive to YOU but others won't notice. I can have a horrid run in the bus and think that i'm giving people a terrible ride and they'll thank me for a smooth trip. they don't notice what you notice.

All the very best for your trip.

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Iris

I hope the towing goes well for you im sure you will feel a lot better once you arrive on site and gain experience the best way to learn is by trying, im also sure you will pick up a lot of clever tips on the course,im also sorry to have butted in half way through your thread. Any way best of luck and happy towing.

luke

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
iris, just read your post re towing courses and having just highjacked my colleagues forum slot,thought i would share with you the expeience of attending a towing course this weekend. I attended the caravan club towing course at York of 1 1/2 days and admittingly very apprehensive and nervous about being there only to find the other 12 people equally in the same boat, there was 4 of us ladies and 8 men in the group and 2 instructors(men!). not only did the tutors make you feel at ease but the whole group was behind everyone each time we had to do a different aspect of maouvering, it is a very worthwhile course and well worth the money as i would now feel very happy going to site on my own and be able to park van on pitch, which i would never have dreamt of doing this before. i think the course would be very useful for you as you get to understand the way the car and caravan handle and respond to different driving conditions and how to load up properly for a safe journey for all. They provide a very comprehensive course handbook for you to peruse before and refer to later if required, they send this to you approx 4 wks before the course. I would highly recommend this course for anyone even those thinking about caravanning. hope this helps good luck dominique via jonathan

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
iris, just read your post re towing courses and having just highjacked my colleagues forum slot,thought i would share with you the expeience of attending a towing course this weekend. I attended the caravan club towing course at York of 1 1/2 days and admittingly very apprehensive and nervous about being there only to find the other 12 people equally in the same boat, there was 4 of us ladies and 8 men in the group and 2 instructors(men!). not only did the tutors make you feel at ease but the whole group was behind everyone each time we had to do a different aspect of maouvering, it is a very worthwhile course and well worth the money as i would now feel very happy going to site on my own and be able to park van on pitch, which i would never have dreamt of doing this before. i think the course would be very useful for you as you get to understand the way the car and caravan handle and respond to different driving conditions and how to load up properly for a safe journey for all. They provide a very comprehensive course handbook for you to peruse before and refer to later if required, they send this to you approx 4 wks before the course. I would highly recommend this course for anyone even those thinking about caravanning. hope this helps good luck dominique via jonathan
Thank you so much for your response. I am definately going to book up for the next available course. I think what you said about understanding what the car and caravan do in different situations would be so helpful and would help me put my mind at rest and hopefully overcome some of my anxieties. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts