Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
We are looking at getting a 12v TV for the Caravan, but they seem to be very expensive, i searched the forum to find info on them, i have researched tinternet, my mind is now a complete muddle as to where i go with this.
At the moment, only been away once in the Van for a weekend, & must admit it was a de-stress situation with no tv or radio, just the 2 of us chatting, but i do miss the news in the Morning, & the Boss has certain programmes she likes to watch.
Ther are some good deals on lesser known brands of TV, but they have bad reviews, can anybody throw any light on this subject, apologies if it has been posted before, i could'nt find it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Grizzly, we thought about the 12 volt TV for going off grid, only been off grid deliberately twice. And didn't "Realy" miss the box, chess and Scrabble, I hate that game, I prefer Querkle, and the best one " find the last bottle of Red wine"
Some of the TV have a power unit that goes from 230 volt to 12 volts so in theory you could use them with the 12 volt system. Lots of searching to do though.
See you in September.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Aldi do a caravan tv that gets reasonable reviews. £125:00 Unfortunately they are not in stock online at the moment and you have to wait for the next caravan event.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:
Thanks Mel, i will ask the Boss to keep her eyes open, next time she does the wine refill run.

I have to do an Aldi run tomorrow in Bletchley, for Ouzo, SWMBO has a Mah jong evening tomorrow , eyes open.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Grizzly,

I have a Finlux 22" and other than sound quality I cannot fault it, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack lead to the onboard stereo radio systems turns the unit into a rather good setup. https://finlux.co.uk/tv-22-fdmb-4200

The same Finlux is also branded as 'Bush' and 'Ferguson' and possibly 'Cello' (amongst others) all at around the £150.00 mark.

And for more money there is the 'Avtex', I have no experience of them but others may inform: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avtex-L186DRS-Combi-Satellite-Decoder-Black/dp/B00BSV6M9I

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
We have two Cello branded TVs. One which we run off mains and one smaller one which I bought the 12-24V adaptor for as the mains connection next to the kids’ bunks is in an inconvenient position. It runs well on the 12V. Only real issues are the sound quality is awful but we’ve also got the main set hooked up to the aux on the radio so that’s pretty good. Also, the viewing angles are a bit precise. It’s pretty wide if you’re directly in line with the set, but vary your angle vertically even slightly and you get all sorts of highlights and inverted colours.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
We have an Avtex 21" with sound bar (we run off 12V at all times). We got it at the Feb show at the NEC, with a big discount (effectively the sound bar was "free"). It's a robust piece of kit and with a Fire Stick gives us all we need...

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I was not prepared to pay more for an occasional use TV than I did for my main TV at home nearly 8 years ago. I know the Avtex TVs are better quality, but they were too much money.

I paid £140 for a Ferguson 22" 12v/230v DVD combi HDTV (no Satellite input) which has been ok for its intended purpose. The sound isn't great - but in a touring caravan it is perfectly acceptable; I haven't felt the need for a sound bar or to connect to the caravan speakers. The DVD has had issues and was replaced under warranty (TV worked but discs played intermittently) The main problem, and where the low price shows through is the 'vertical viewing angle' if you are sat looking at the TV straight on, at near head/eye height, you will not see an issue. Stand up and look down at the picture, you get a polarised or negative image which is impossible to watch. Not an issue if you're sat watching TV, but if the TV is on while prepping food, for example, you cannot casually glance at the screen.

In hindsight, i would probably still buy the same TV with the current level of usage. If I were to drastically increase the use of a caravan or second TV, I would save-up for the Avtex,

TV was purchased direct (from Cello) here: https://fergusontv.com/product-category/televisions/12-volt/

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I can echo the two posters above about the little Cello tv.

I'm happy enough with it, given it's occasional usage and its price.

One thing I do like is its ability to read movie files from USB. I have a 750GB drive which I fill with movies before I go away. I'm never short of something to watch of an evening or a rainy afternoon.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
We take a small Samsung TV from the home which usually works fine off the mains and the caravan aerial. If signal is weak I also have a small booster (also mains) that cost about 10.00. I have used bollard connection lead on sites where there is very poor signal. I use auto tune on a new site and can pick up all the main BBC and ITV channels along with a series of radio channels. Unless you plan to be without hook-up frequently then a similar system would suffice.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Yes, Avtex TV at a show gets a discount/extras/case. The big advantage is that they have built in Freeview and Freesat decoders and DVD player, so you don't need any more boxes and all the pesky wiring, saving space and weight.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
The caravan does have a Radio, we intend to get my son who is an auto electrician to wire whichever tv we get to the radio speakers. Saves having to buy a soundbar.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Yes, Avtex TV at a show gets a discount/extras/case. The big advantage is that they have built in Freeview and Freesat decoders and DVD player, so you don't need any more boxes and all the pesky wiring, saving space and weight.

Fergusen/Cello TVs also have freeview HD Decoders. Mine will also record to a USB stick with live TV pausing functionality.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Being The devils Advocate, If your going off grid , then why not just enjoy tranquillity, read books and talk to others in the caravan, and maybe even switch on the wireless, and listen to Radio 4 extra.
SWMBO can go a day or so without The box, after that The wine gets a hammering in late afternoons instead of "The Chase".

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately i have had years of hammering the red, i am trying to cut down a bit now, but still enjoy the odd glass.
Radio has CD player for music for now, but we will get a tv eventually, what about when the football is back on? Match of the day, surely i can't miss that, maybe i can, as a side note Mrs Grizzly totally agrees with you, except the wine bit, i am being rationed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:
Unfortunately i have had years of hammering the red, i am trying to cut down a bit now, but still enjoy the odd glass.
Radio has CD player for music for now, but we will get a tv eventually, what about when the football is back on? Match of the day, surely i can't miss that, maybe i can, as a side note Mrs Grizzly totally agrees with you, except the wine bit, i am being rationed.

Grizzly, lets hope at the Woosie fest , The girls don't try and tie down our getting to know each other, Anseo, will help us, I am sure. Lady Villa, ( Dusty Dogs Boss) will find a TV somewhereI if there is her football team on.
am looking forward to seeing new faces this year. :) don't over expect, it is just a good meet up, its a shame some of the others cannot get there, Kev/Mags , Mel and Roger, Martin and Jenny. And others that I don't know.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:
The caravan does have a Radio, we intend to get my son who is an auto electrician to wire whichever tv we get to the radio speakers. Saves having to buy a soundbar.

Er, but your original post said no radio either?
Your son should not wire the TV directly to the speakers: if he opens the set to get at the speaker connections not only will he invalidate the guarantee but he may also leave a dangerous situation. As the TV is normally totally enclosed there is no need for the manufacturer to take care over mains isolation.
If he uses the headphone output direct to the radio speakers it won't work either as the speaker impedence will be too low and you won't be able to hear them.
There are two solutions: wire the loudspeaker output of the TV to the Aux input of the radio, then your TV remote can control sound levels; if the radio has Bluetooth get a low latency Bluetooth transmitter and connect that to the headphone output and pair it with the radio. Low latency? If you don't you will end up with terrible loss of sound sync which will make it unwatchable.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Woodentop, all that just went right over my head my friend, i am no technifobe, ican just about wire a plug.
But i know a man "son" who can, he said something about make sure its got an aux socket or something, that too went right over my head.
I guess this TV purchase is going too take longer than expected, maybe i will just listen to the Radio, & chat to the Mrs.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:
Thanks Woodentop, all that just went right over my head my friend, i am no technifobe, ican just about wire a plug.
But i know a man "son" who can, he said something about make sure its got an aux socket or something, that too went right over my head.
I guess this TV purchase is going too take longer than expected, maybe i will just listen to the Radio, & chat to the Mrs.

We could do that over a glass of Red and White, watching our new, TV with built in DVD player, to see the standard, of the TV, hic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts