Caravan water filters

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
All the types of water filters inline or cartridge that I have seen or read about seem to do everything but purify the water, surely this what we want good clean water!
Anyone know different?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Barney777 said:
All the types of water filters inline or cartridge that I have seen or read about seem to do everything but purify the water, surely this what we want good clean water!
Anyone know different?

unless you are going to go wild camping and take your water from the nearest stream or lake, you don't need the water purifying, the water points on most if not all caravan sites, is mains water supply if it is good enough for locals it must be good enough for the site users, the only contaminates are likely to come from anything after it comes out the tap, like containers and van pipes, if your not happy with risking water out of the van use bottled water or a sterile container filled direct from the site supply..please note if by chance the site is remote and received water from a spring or a well this water would have been tested by the water authority for contaminates and passed as safe in much the same way as bottled spring water is.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Barney777 said:
Anyone know different?

You can get filters that do purify the water but that is not what is fitted as standard to caravans, and many caravans don't even have a strainer let alone a filter. Filtering to high purity levels all the water entering a caravan would be a technical and cost nightmare, the volumes dealt with are so large. There is a presumption that you would only source clean water so apart from contamination picked up in your containers and the van's system there should be no issues for washing, loo flushing and boiled to drink water.
if you are overly worried then using refilled water bottles freshly refilled at least every day is the sound approach. Your biggest risk by far comes from the van's system, but that is not great. Many filters are themselves breeding grounds for bio nasties as they are likely to be left wet between trips , stagnant.
If you must have purified water on tap then directly under the tap fit a silver ion impregnated filter and change it regularly as it only has a finite life. This tap ideally needs to be an additional tap for use only for drinking water as otherwise you will be endlessly changing costly filters or cartriges.
I designed water systems, I don't want any filter in my caravan and will remove any fitted, and for unboild drinking water i keep a fresh bottle of water to hand. I feel in our application fitting most types of filter are a mistake, the more so in that people don't change them every couple of months and ideally remove and dry them when not using the van.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have never bothered with a filter and if the caravan came with one, we chucked it out. Water pressure then increases for a nice shower.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JTQ said:
... Many filters are themselves breeding grounds for bio nasties as they are likely to be left wet between trips , stagnant......

I'm sorry but that is a very misleading statement; A good quality filter will have been made with physical small particle containment, activated Carbon to grab the tainting agents as the water flows and a silver nitrate element to protect the filter from bacterial growths.

If a filter remained looking clean after use, would suggest its not actually doing what its supposed to do. The way a filter looks after use is not indicative of it growing nasties but the fact the filter has stopped these elements from passing.

Always follow the manufacturers instructions about the life of the filter and when to change it.

In the UK it is arguably not necessary to use a filter but the quality and taste of water through caravan systems is dependant on every part of the systems from the storage vessels and the internal pipes.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I keep a small filter jug in the fridge door for drinking in the UK. When I'm abroad I buy bottled water - 20p for 2ltrs. Since the Aquaroll is only used for washing up and showering, I've removed the filter and replaced it with pipe work. For the kettle I fill a discarded 4 pint milk can at the water point..

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Barney
The Whale aquasmart filter I use does NOT remove bacteria. It simply removes, aledgedly, taints from the taste and smells too.
We still use these filters changing it every six months.
More importantly we thoroughly clean the entire water system, pipes, tanks, and aquarolls with Milton Solution.
We drink water from the taps and have done so for years with no ill effects.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
JTQ said:
... Many filters are themselves breeding grounds for bio nasties as they are likely to be left wet between trips , stagnant......

I'm sorry but that is a very misleading statement; A good quality filter will have been made with physical small particle containment, activated Carbon to grab the tainting agents as the water flows and a silver nitrate element to protect the filter from bacterial growths.

Well, we will have to disagree on that point.
If changing one of the main brands at the 35 day replacement interval [time not usage] any biocide such as silver ions if indeed used might hold up. But I doubt many user do, for many 35 days means it will be a new filter per trip out.

If left wet the collected spores, etc. if not neutralised will culture on the element's surfaces using the nutrients of their less fortunate colleagues and the life giving stagnant now chloride depleted water present..
Not all that resides on the element can be claimed as being caught by the filter, much will be born there.

There as said are effective elements but these have a quite limited life.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tend to drain the water system down on leaving pitch, and when getting home pop the filter out, leave it in Milton solution, until going out again, refill the system, test it, making sure everything works, change the filter once a year , we tour all year round, drink the water from the taps in the van, never had any problems here or in France,
Hutch.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Dumped our filter too,use a brass elbow on the end to weight the pipe into the aqyuaroll.We use a jug for drinking water a la Sproket and disenfect system with Milton tablets every couple of months

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JTQ said:
ProfJohnL said:
JTQ said:

Well, we will have to disagree on that point.
If changing one of the main brands at the 35 day replacement interval [time not usage] any biocide such as silver ions if indeed used might hold up. But I doubt many user do, for many 35 days means it will be a new filter per trip out.

If left wet the collected spores, etc. if not neutralised will culture on the element's surfaces using the nutrients of their less fortunate colleagues and the life giving stagnant now chloride depleted water present..
Not all that resides on the element can be claimed as being caught by the filter, much will be born there.

There as said are effective elements but these have a quite limited life.

Well you edited out one crucial part of my statement: which is to follow the manufacturers instructions. You cannot blame the filter or its manufacture if you choose to ignore their directions.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Well you edited out one crucial part of my statement: which is to follow the manufacturers instructions. You cannot blame the filter or its manufacture if you choose to ignore their directions.

That however does not alter the validity of my statement and I did not blame the filter or its manufacturer.
To say it is misleading probably in itself misleads?
I agree, if you want a filter you should use it as instructed, but know many do not..

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Like many others here, on the forum (and elsewhere) I chucked out my caravan's filter years ago...no ill effects so far!
Happy Caravanning
Regards
paws

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just been browsing websites, and noticed that Truma, do supply a housing kit without the filter, they call it compact / winter housing, so if they are willing to supply a unit, they are not too bothered about the filter, has anyone used the Aqua roll in barrel, filter, supposed to stop Biofilm in your system. Does it work, more for the seasonal folk I
would think.
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats the one, no other write ups, but as I use two Aqua rolls, when we pitch up, at that price I dont think I will be buying them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My van is fitted with a Truma Ultraflow system where the cartridge fits in from the outside (the one with the blue cap) I tried to use the water system without the filter but found that water just flooded out of the cartridge socket and poured down the outside of the van.
Unless I'm doing something wrong, it looks as though you have to have a filter in the hole for it to work properly. You can't just do without? :huh:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
TW, just popped out to our van, Coachman 560. To check. Ours is ok filter in our out, works fine, maybe the o ring in the Blue screw cap has split. Used the system when I blocked the filter once by too strong a sterlising solution once. Make sure you havn't cross threaded the cap maybe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts