Caravan wheel hub temperature monitoring.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Preamble: I only know how to include the Facebook link for viewing, apologies if not readily accessible to all.

As tech gadgets become more available and more and more will likely inevitably be installed I found this article interesting.

This one relates to a Victron Cerbo unit but I guess other readout display devices can be utilised.

Hub Temperature Monitoring

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
The original poster of this article is

Josh Hutton from Ipswich, Queensland.

"Don’t know if anyone else has done this but I put temperature sensors on the hubs on my caravan to monitor the temperatures via the cerbo."
1701664703397.jpeg

Right Click for alternative view and to be able to zoom in on image:

Below are some examples of comments acompanying the post:
Christopher Inch
So it's a good idea in theory, however there is a large mass of steel to act as a heat sink which will skew the value. Next time you pull up, check the outer hub with an ir temp gun and then the stub axle and see the difference.

Josh Hutton
Author
Christopher Inch doesn’t have to read the exact temperature of the stub axle. You just get to know what “normal” operating temperature is and if it goes much higher than this baseline you know you have a problem.

Randy Clarkson
Franz Flak I check my wheels every time I stop and the one time I had a bearing burn off 10 miles after and was warned by the TPMS. It’s good to check when stopped but does nothing when they decide to go.

Dick Martens
Top contributor
I always enjoy collecting data on all sorts of components, never thought about this though.
👌

Dylan Murphy
Top contributor
I have a tpms monitoring system that lets me know if things are getting hot. I've had a bearing fail on the road, not fun.

Kevin Millington
Dylan Murphy same here

Bjarne Bergum
Top contributor
Kevin Millington Me too.

Gregory O'Connor
Top contributor
My favorite method of predicting mechanical failure is with temp anomalies. Too may people check a component or appliance with the back of their hand and say stuff like it is hot. You need to put a value to it and have a record of a baseline for comparison. Wheel bearings are easy to get comparisons because there are four and each reacting to identical heat sinks. In my experience bearing failure usualy starts to show issues then makes great noise miles before letting go. Might not be worth realtime monitoring or effort. I limit my realtime concerns to rpm, voltage, coolant temp, and radar detection. I even turn off the monitor focused on my Tow'ed once I realized it won't hit me.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm in favour of anything that will give timely reliable information concerning failures, especially with essential things like wheel bearings, which usually do begin to run hotter before failing completely.

Another method of detection is to listen to the bearing. That is not so easy with a car or trailer wheel when in motion, but the aircraft and heavy marine industry do use types of microphones or vibration sensors in engine's to automatically listen for tell tale signs of wear, and use them to trigger remedial action before failure occurs.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Touching wood 👍👍in all my years of caravanning I’ve never had a hot axle bearing nor a binding brake. 🤞🤞🤞.
But like TPMS any checking system must be good for the end user.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts