Caravan width petition

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIG BIG congrats to her Ladyship Lord B and a few to you as well ;-)

40 years married and Caravanners to, and she's still obviously happy with the length and width and can't be thinking of getting a German Model in tow. If it's good enough for the gentry why bother changing things.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
BIG BIG congrats to her Ladyship Lord B and a few to you as well ;-)

40 years married and Caravanners to, and she's still obviously happy with the length and width and can't be thinking of getting a German Model in tow. If it's good enough for the gentry why bother changing things.
LMAAOOOO ... ty cris ;O)

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
We have all seen 4x4s towing 2.5m wide T/A caravans with no mirrors - they're the ones doing 40mph on the motorway - creating a hazard for eveybody. Even worse on normal roads. No thanks.

SBS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello SBS,

If width is an issue, then it has much wider (please excuse the pun) implications than just caravans. Most commercial lorries are wider than virtually all caravans.

There isn't generally an issue with the width of a vehicle as most roads are capable of handling the wider commercial vehicles. Some roads are width restricted or designated as not suitable for commercial vehicles and those restrictions would also have to apply to wide caravans or any vehicle that exceeds the stated width.

Equally we are already used to the slower progress of commercial vehicles, so why single out wide caravans. Again the driver is responsible to ensure the trailer is within the towing limits of the vehicle and any other regulations. So if there is an issue of reduced progress, then blame the driver not the trailer.

If any vehicle has inadequate rear view mirrors then they are illegal, and that is also the fault of the driver, not the trailer.

If the police used powers to stop and confiscate non-compliant vehicles at the point of the offence, then those people who choose to deliberately ignore the regulations would think twice about transgressing in the first place.

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
This topic is about caravan widths.

Do not let it deteriorate into an anti 4X4 debate or it will be removed.
I trust that this was not directed at my posting. To explain: the reason I gave 4x4s as an example is that they tend to be narrower than the ubiquitous white van and so have a greater need for additional towing mirrors. Please don't attribute other people prejudices to this posting. The point is that they are driving an illegal combination and my experience is that they do not even keep up with with HGVs and so impede traffic flow. Rarely have I seen a overwide 'van travelling near or at the legal limit.

PS I happen to tow with a 4WD.

SBS

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
Hello SBS,

If width is an issue, then it has much wider (please excuse the pun) implications than just caravans. Most commercial lorries are wider than virtually all caravans.

There isn't generally an issue with the width of a vehicle as most roads are capable of handling the wider commercial vehicles. Some roads are width restricted or designated as not suitable for commercial vehicles and those restrictions would also have to apply to wide caravans or any vehicle that exceeds the stated width.

Equally we are already used to the slower progress of commercial vehicles, so why single out wide caravans. Again the driver is responsible to ensure the trailer is within the towing limits of the vehicle and any other regulations. So if there is an issue of reduced progress, then blame the driver not the trailer.

If any vehicle has inadequate rear view mirrors then they are illegal, and that is also the fault of the driver, not the trailer.

If the police used powers to stop and confiscate non-compliant vehicles at the point of the offence, then those people who choose to deliberately ignore the regulations would think twice about transgressing in the first place.
Couldn't agree with you more. My experience is that vehicles under 3.5T towing an overwide 'van do not even keep up with with HGVs and so impede traffic flow. Rarely have I seen an overwide 'van travelling near or at the legal limit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts