Caravaning without EHU

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Just wondered what people's experiences were not using EHU on sites. Are you still placed amongst caravans, near facilities etc or in another field.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think it will depend on the site. We go to a CL where you can choose EHU for one price, or forego it for a lower price. You are still on the same pitches as everyone else. However other sites may do it differently.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have been on a site, Henlow Bridge Lakes, where you have a card for the EHU. You either have power or not, at the time I used the site it was £5 a card Non refundable , but 16 amp and that would last 2 days, ( many years ago)
The site has fishing lakes and music and comedy weekends if you want. a very diversive place.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have been on a site, Henlow Bridge Lakes, where you have a card for the EHU. You either have power or not, at the time I used the site it was £5 a card Non refundable , but 16 amp and that would last 2 days, ( many years ago)
The site has fishing lakes and music and comedy weekends if you want. a very diversive place.
The CL at Wharfdale is a coin meter payg z thus you still use the same pitch but can go off grid if you wish,I have seen other places where the Non EHU are in a different field

Reactions: TrevBanbury
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just wondered what people's experiences were not using EHU on sites. Are you still placed amongst caravans, near facilities etc or in another field.
That will depend on the site layout which is of course unique to each site. You need to seek clarification from the site operator before booking.

Tux

Mar 17, 2024
Visit site
Very often not having EHU will give you a wider choice of pitches, sometimes with a better view. Personally I always use EHU where it is available, but have enjoyed stopping at many "off grid" sites. Next week I'm off to Fairford for the Air Tattoo. I'll be pitched in nothing more than a farmers field with a temporary water supply and portaloos. I usually get on just fine with my leisure battery and 120W solar panel.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Loads of us actively seek out off-grid sites, CL's, CS's, Rallies, THS's, festivals etc.
150 watts of solar power and refillable gas bottles and we comfortably go away for weeks on end.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hopefully none of them.
For us it's not sites but rallies, where units are well-spaced out by site standards, there are no facilities but we have our own [and experience facilities can attract too much, not always desirable localised activity]. And definitely in the same field as our fellow rally community, their social company is a prime reason to go.

The "physical side" is comfortable achieved for our normal up to 28 day stints throughout the main season with a 85-Watt solar panel and access to LPG exchanges, if needed.

Probably not answering the intention of the question which might be more "are off grid clients on formal sits treated as somewhat second-class"?
I have to expect many sites will be focused on maximising their income and will naturally pamper those shelling out more, those buying the full package. Inevitably those site owner taking that stance will fit the more budget conscious clients in those areas that they feel lack the potential to maximise returns, put bluntly not taking up their prime locations. Witness the locations allocated to "service pitches" rather supports this rationale.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts