Caravanning in France through to Italy

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Damien,

Enjoy it.

Either buy or ask Sinta Klaas for a few caravan site review books like the Alan Rogers Guide to Europe, or the Caravan Club Europe book.

In addition to recommendations from the UK organisations, look out for Dutch ANWB or VVV approval - they post more information about sites and facilities - you could borrow my ANWB camp site books but unless you speak Dutch...

Then read and plan your trip instead of watching T{pipe delimiter}V over the Winter break, and don't exclude French municipal sites - some can be excellent - and are good for short stop overs en route.

Robert

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Damien,

Just a thought but have you driven in Europe before?

Don't get worried, driving is easy and traffic levels in France (outside of the immediate Paris area) are so much lower than the UK

My thought was based on whether you or the person doing the navigation was familiar with French road signs - they aren't that different but if you don't know the significance of "Toutes / Autres Directions" then you may have fun.

You may want to consider buying a GPS Satellite Navigation system with mapping for the countries you intend to visit. It will just make it so much easier for the driver.

Robert

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Damien, If you are going to travel outside peak periods ie.July August, try using Camping Cheque they have a large number of affiliated sites, caravan club do a version also Euro Cheque.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Damian - Go,Go,Go travelling in Europe is great and far easier than your mind thinks it is at present. When I was younger I travelled every year by road to Germany Austria and Italy by way of the Benelux countries. and never paid tolls until reaching Italy.

IMHO Benelux countries have the best roads (EEC Headquarters Based in Belgium) with France a good second, German are great too although some are showing signs of wear due to their age.

I used the Michelen maps and guide books as they are the most comprehensive or tackling mountain roads and passes.

I have found that if you are a computer person and own a laptop buying Microsoft Autoroute is a good aid as you can plot your route daily and find suitable deviations when comparing with the Michelen guides. of course a Sat Nav. is also a benefit but always check with michelen guides as it may want to guide through places you van can't go.

you will find that continental people are well experienced campers and a lot of their sites are far advanced in the facilities provided. good luck in your travels, and hope the sun travels with you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks for all your comments.

I will report my progress here next year for the benefit of others.

As a gadget sort of person I think I will invest in a sat nav. I'll give my significant others the hint for Christmas.

Cheers Damien

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I suggest using the Caravan Club's 2 vol guides to caravanning in Europe. Besides lots of useful stuff about regulations etc. etc., there are masses of reports from caravanners about sites they have tried. We haven't had a duff one yet by using these guides and we have managed to find them all without any trouble following the directions given.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts