Caravanning is great for kids!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
We're sure many of you won't disagree with the above statement – caravan holidays are super for children! And in his latest blog, Practical Caravan columnist Martin Roberts tells us why he believes this is true. Read more here.

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I was brought up caravanning, and when I think back to my childhood, most of the cool things I did were always on holiday in the caravan.
Its where I learnt to ride a bike, fly a kite, catch a ball, climb trees, swim, surf and looking back on it with older eyes, it was a time for the family to be a family and spent time together.

Now I have 2 young children, I want the same for them. We have been caravanning for years before the children, but now it takes on a whole new way of life.

I've taught my girls how to ride bikes properly, fly kites, build sandcastles, play cards, Monopoly etc etc, and all of this has been done on holiday.

I prefer the back to basis approach and the freedom to do what we want, when we want.

Just booked for Slimbridge Wildlife Park at Half term (shakedown for the new caravan)
Southampton, Isle of Wight and then Legoland on the way back for 10 days at Easter.

Can't wait.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our three girls loved caravan holidays. Not sure why having swimming pools is an improvement though as they had them twenty and more years ago although possibly not as advanced as now.
We went abroad in a far more adventurous way sleeping on a ship sometimes or the channel tunnel and not just getting a coach from an airport to an hotel.
They made friends got plenty of fresh air and exercise.
Not sure with modern caravans you are roughing it though, our first Piper had a two ring hob, a foot pump for cold water and a gas mantle although it did have an electric light but we needed to power that off the car, as the caravan did not have its own battery. Times have changed.

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Last year was our first year with our caravan, we bought because our three grandsons live with us and what better holidays for them! The only problem we have is on our first holiday on the way back the caravan had a blow out and ever since our 6yr grandson freaks out at the thought of us pulling the van. We reasure him and tell him everything's ok but he worries the whole journey. Any ideas what we can do to help him.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I grew up caravanning for every holiday. My parents bought a cavalier back in the early seventies (it had glass windows). No hot water or fitted toilet. It was great fun and my sister and I had the best of times. Fast forward 40 years and I have a young family (yes I am an older father) and my two girls loved camping under canvass and now love our caravan. Obviously there are a lot more home comforts such as running hot water and EHU but we don’t have a telly and the girls get to play outside in all weathers very much like they did when we were under canvass. And they have learnt how to play monopoly. We are off out this afternoon (tomorrow is an inset day at school and therefore too good an opportunity to miss) and it is our intention to go as frequently as we can right up until Christmas.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Our kids love our times away in the caravan. We had a tent, but they sided with me, and hated it! So when the chance came to buy an older van, we ganged up on Dad, and we bought it. Since then we have purchased another, larger (although still 'older') van, and although the children are nearly 16 and 13 respectively, never yet have they moaned about the van. We go to some familiar and some new places each year, and so long as the familiar ones stay on the list, they will go anywhere - even the Woosiefest!
I completely agree with Martin - caravanning is the way to go!!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep, caravanning is good for you, -- here's my start, -- Skegness 1950, I think? (I'm the 'blond'!) with mum dad & brothers. Not our caravan but rented.
001%202_zpsvs3yegdf.jpg

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi, what a great photo. Bet you haven't changed a bit! Would you mind if we used this in the magazine as part of our "Your photos' section? If so could you please email it to me (the quality won't be as good if I grab it from here) to stacie@practicalcaravan.com
Look forward to hearing back from you. Many thanks, Stacie. Community Editor

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Grandma6 said:
Last year was our first year with our caravan, we bought because our three grandsons live with us and what better holidays for them! The only problem we have is on our first holiday on the way back the caravan had a blow out and ever since our 6yr grandson freaks out at the thought of us pulling the van. We reasure him and tell him everything's ok but he worries the whole journey. Any ideas what we can do to help him.
Caravan tyres almost always look as good as new with lots of tread depth but the problem is that sidewalls deteriorate over time which can present a hidden danger, especially if the tyres are over seven years old.
Reassure your young grandson that your tyres are now completely safe (you fitted new tyres didn't you?) and try distracting him on the journey by playing games such as spotting a certain colour car, a car with pets inside etc.
You could try short local trips to help him to regain his confidence, the Camping and Caravanning Club host excellent and inexpensive weekend rallies in all localities, throughout the year in many cases, and children usually become good friends with their fellow ralliers children which might offer the little fellow an incentive to look forward to.
There is some basic safety advice which should help you to keep your caravan shiny side up, please click here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts