Caravanning with dogs.

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I have owned a caravan for over a year and am really loving the experience. Being an experienced dog owner but never having a dog with me when in my van I would love some advice on how to go on with my dog as I want to start bringing her. I dont want her to sleep in the van as it is nearly new and I dont let the dog on beds at home etc. Do others keep the dog in the awning in a crate? etc etc. I just want to hear what everyone else does!! I would be very grateful for advice.

Regards

Lesley

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lesley,

My wife & I train 3 border collies for agility. We've just started caravanning, & my wife insists that the sleep in the caravan with us. They each have their own cushion which they sleep in at home, so she bought them 3 new ones for home, & we took the old ones away with us - that way the cushions already had each dog's scent.

None of them are allowed on the furniture at home - beds or 3 piece suite - & so far they haven't tried to jump up in the caravan either. When we go to bed, the cushions come out, are put on the caravan floor, & they all go to sleep on them. The only problem is if you need the loo in the middle of the night....tripping over a dog at 3 am is no fun......

The silly thing is that we tow with a van which is caged out for the dogs, & I'm sure that they would be happy sleeping in their own cages there. Both they & us would actually have more room .... & a bit more privacy :)

Cheers,

Jim

i caravan with 2 dogs and a cat,our small dog is in the van all the time,and sleeps on my head of a night,scared of the cat,the big dog however sleeps in the boot of the car,did try a big crate but he wouldn't settle so stuck him in the boot,leave a window slightly open,and be careful if it is very hot,also tried a bed in the awning leashed to the wheel clamp,again pinned so let him back in the car boot and he loves it will sit in it all day no bother realy yust what works,good luck sarah

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
HI we have a 18 month old cocker spaniel, he sleeps in a crate in the awning, no problems at all only thing we do is cover the crate with a large blanket to keep any wind out

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Our two Labs sleep out in the awning. Instead of a crate we have a "dog bag" which is like a pop up tents for dogs. We use it for transporting the dogs in the boot too as it keeps the dirt and hairs contained.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts