CaravMovers

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
We are changing our caravan for a new and heavier one in the next few months - can anybody recommend which mover is best suitable for a single axle caravan (or which to avoid) as we have a slight incline and turn up our drive to get the caravan into place and it might be a bit too much to push it like we do with our current one.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For 5 years total peace of mind should anything,,and I mean ANYTHING ,go wrong with it,,,Powrtouch without a doubt.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can recommend one NOT to use. Its British made and begins with 'R'.
smiley-yell.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Powrwheel without a doubt had one on the last 3 vans over 6 years and no problems with it at all. Well except it used to set off our next door neighbours wireless doorbell until they changed the frequency. Had a new one this year but only as I changed to a twin axle. If I'd had another single axle it would of been swapped over again. I did have a small problem with the new one, phoned powrwheel and their local agent was with me the same day.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Don't get any, think what exerciser you will be missing, to much pressing buttons, to much technology, this is not caravaning.
I'm retired and my Pat is still pushing my van about.
Okay to tell the truth I can't afford one but if I could I would drive it round our square from my bedroom window.
I'm aloud to be silly once or twice.
Just Reg

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a simple Motor mover Et, which fits in place of the jockey wheel. Or alternatively you can do as I have and fit a second jockey wheel clamp to the A frame.
All I need mine for is parking at home and to me it seemed pointless to have a fitted one as it lowers your payload for clothing etc.
Another advantage for me is that I can use my portable mover to move my boat and goods trailers too.

Finally price has a part. Mine cost £250 to buy secondhand and when I needed a replacement spiral drive gear it was delivered within 2 days at very reasonable cost from it's british manufacturer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are two types of mover typically available: A frame types, and axle types. A frame types typically have to be fitted each time you want to use it, which means finding somewhere to carry it if you want to take it with on holiday, and as most carry their own battery they can be quite heavy to manhandle.The axle mounted versions are permanently fitted and are available at any point of your holiday or storage.

The major concern with the a frame devises is their ability to grip the surface enough to control the caravan when on slopes or on loose or slippy surfaces (e.g.wet leaves and gravel etc). most of them have plenty of power but its no use if there is not enough grip, and probably more importantly is the ability of the mover to stop the caravan and hold it safely on an incline. On the plus side, the do not use up much caravan pay load, unless you carry it in the caravan. These are great on near flat surfaces and are quite effective under those conditions

Axle mounted systems have plenty of grip, and they will stop and hold a caravan on most practical slopes. The down side is the weight of the mover being permanently fitted to the caravan. All the axle mounted units use the caravan existing battery for power.

There are some manufacturers who have built up an enviable reputation for after care service, Excellent as that is, other manufactures may have less problems, and thus their after care services are not needed so often, the difficulty is getting hold of the necessary information to see which if any manufacture or model is better than the rest.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I concurr with John.
A fitted mover add's approx 60Kgs to your van's gross weight but it also detracts from the payload for holiday gear.
Therefore the older A frame or ball hitch type movers might come in handy. The motormover ET I have weighs about 30Kgs, so is quite portable. You can use the caravan's battery if it is located near the front of the van, or alternativly you could use an old car battery (I use a tractor battery). The battery can usually be stood on the A frame thus adding weight for tyre grip.

It's purely a matter of choice based on how savy you are with reversing the caravan with the car and not the mover, weighed against reduced carrying capacity for tinnies and food.

For me, as I am a fulltimer, extra weight for clothes and the nice toys for comfy living out weigh'd the desire for a fixed mover, plus I'm a dab hand at reversing the van.

To be quite honest an A frame mover can be just as capable as an axle driver if you put your mind to it. Also a portable unit comes in handy when moving other trailers. I use mine on my boat trailer and my goods trailer as I can't shove them about at present.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I am happy to recommend an EGO mover. I had one fitted to my Swift Challenger 480 a year ago. It really came into its own on a trip to mid-Wales and Shropshire last week. It enabled us to move the van onto and off very wet grass on a CL (and to easily turn the van 'head to wind' when it started to blow up a hooly last Thursday). The use of a worm drive powered by hand or electric drill enables you to vary the pressure of engagement between the rollers and the tyres - and to increase the pressure in very slippery conditions.
Cheers
Paul

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thibnk that 'steveinleo' might be quoting the weight for a twinaxle chassis fixed mover. For a single axle mover 29-37kg is more the range.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Reich weighs in at 34kg for a single, and there are several makes at around that weight. Have a look at Caravan Movers website.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Whichever way you look at the figures on weight gain, your caravan is going to get fatter and the capacity for clothes and good living get leaner.
With caravans getting heavier and tow cars not gaining higher towing capacity, the margin for load is also getting squeezed. With payloads (carrying capacity) not much above 200Kgs at best, by the time you've took off 60Kgs fro awning and poles, 25Kgs for water barrels and waste master, 37 to 60Kgs for the "fitted mover" that only leaves 60Kgs for food and clothing. Chuck in a wind break, awning carpet, 2 X 7Kg gas bottles, and your now getting close to top weight if not over it. Oh BTW I forgot the spare wheel and jack and the torque wrench, which is possibly another 40Kgs.

Now can you see why I reckon fitted movers are perhaps a gadget too far and too weighty to carry all the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with stevinleo about van's getting 'fatter' but payloads are seeming to reduce due to the additional gear that van's come with. I got over the problem of movver weight by paying Bailey to regrade the van to a heavier MTLPM, but not all models can do this. Howver if you look at Adria's they have good kit specifcation and still give you a good payload too. This means that the owner can then choose how much load to carry and what type of car to tow with. If only Adria produced a van between 7-7.5m with end fixed bed (at the rear not front) I would have the Visa card out instantly. In the absence of such I stick with the S5 Bordeaux and its 250kg payload, 7.0m length and 1400kg MTLPM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts