Carradale Bay, Kintyre. Excellent site.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Of all the sites I've been to, and there are many pretty ones, this has to be the best with all round views. The site was full of Rhododendron and Gorse in bloom. Where the caravans are pitched is known as The Warren, it's alive with semi-tame rabbits. A gate opposite leads a few yards through bracken and then you are on a mile long sandy beach looking across to Arran. Surprisingly, when I paddled in the sea trying to get the dogs to go in, it was warm. One evening, just a few yards out we saw a baby dolphin. Golden Eagles soar above the site too, plus lots of other species of birds. We saw the seals at Machranish and also saw others when we went to Arran for the day. For those who use the showers the water pressure is low but thats beyond the sites control. The Wardens are friendly and helpful. A big downside to me is the midges, the buggers bit me to death again inspite of me covering myself with that Avon stuff and smelling like a ponce. Her Ladyship didn't have a single bite. I told her they don't go for bad meat.

This site isn't a weekend retreat, following the C.C. recommended route it took us 6 1/2 hours from Carlisle.

Coming home we left early and took the single track route saving ourselves 1 1/2 hours. Going back via Campbeltown there are at least three uphill U bends, one at 16% and the others at 14%, which seemed worse than the single track going home.

All in all it is a lovely site and was even made better with the 22/24c temperature for 9 out of the 10 days we were there.

Would I go again, I'd love to but the bloody midges put me off, no fun when you get paranoid, going around the van last thing at night trying to find and squash them. It only takes one to get through to create havoc with my arms. I even had one of those InsectOCutor lights on all night too.

BTW Maureen, I did look for you when passing through Glasgow but with all the noise from the trumpet fanfare, bunting in the way and the traffic of people coming to see my arrival I obviously missed you. Glaswegians sure know how to make someone welcome although Her Ladyship argued it wasn't for us, it was some kind of carnival :O(

Below are a couple of pics of the site ......

CLICK TO ENLARGE.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
LORD B,

Glad you had a nice time but.....sigh.....how many times do we have to tell you?

Come early May or September onwards and then ....... NO TROUBLE with the little blighters :eek:)

Glad to know you appreciated the carnival put on specially for you.

We were at Lochgilphead last Thursday as hubby wanted to cycle the Crinan Canal.Thought that your entourage might have been going through at that time but obviously you choose to avoid the natives.

How did you like Arran? It is described as Scotland in miniature.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
..... but if we went earlier or later we would have missed that glorious weather :O)

We only saw the top half of Arran and it was very nice. We arrived at the ferry and it was

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts