Carrying Bikes Inside a Caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes or No....can you get bike bags that they can zip into to protect the inside of the van? I have a bike rack but would really like to take 4 bikes, (maybe 2 lightest on the bike rack -kids) to keep to my towbar nose weight and was thinking the 2 adult bikes inside the van??

Can you buy bike racks for the back of the Caravan? I have seen this on many motor homes, I guess you would need the backside reinforced for the weight??

Any thoughts or advise welcome please..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HI Paul & Ruth,

It wold not surprise me if you can get bags for bikes, You could perhaps make some yourself, or obtain some of that Corex, plastic corregated panel, lightweight but strong and durable even when wet.

As for bike racks on the rear of a caravan, yes you can get them, but you must think very carefully before using them. You have alrady considerd the strenth of the rear panel, but you must also consider:

* The length it adds to your caravan,

* The mass of those bikes at the extremity of the outfit will maximise any potential for instability whilst towing.

* Ensure that the lights and number plate are not obstructed.

* Total mass of caravan etc.

It seems that most people revert to a roofrack on the car as being the popular option.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks John, yes I actually found another good thread after writing this on bikes on the back of the van and the stability problems it can cause, I think in the van is better at the moment and maybe roofrack long term?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Paul & Ruth, look in your caravan mags at Gardner of Wakefield also known as Bags 4 Everything www.gardnerofwakefield.co.uk they will make any size/shape of bag you want. Tel 01924 262696. for a brochure.

They are a small friendly outfit.

Regards,

Barney.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
cud you put the bikes on a roof rack on top of car. most car only can store 75kg on the roof so find out how much you can put on the top of yoru car fist. good luck mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts