Carrying bikes

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I tow a Lunar Qasar 524 with a 56 plate Mondeo estate. I would like to take two lightweight adult bikes on our trips but not sure of the best way to carry them. Noseweight is an issue for me as, try as I might through careful packing, I cannot get a level rig. There's a noticeble dip between the rear of the Mondeo and the A frame of the van. We don't carry very much at all in the van. On a recent trip abroad we noticeed many of the French, Belgian and Dutch 'vans had carry racks fitted to the rear of their caravan for two or three bikes. Possible? Although not sure I'd want to drill into the van to fix this. Would a roof rack on the car be the answer?
Suggestions gratefully received.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello acbruce

Before we consider the bikes, lets get some facts an legalities sorted out about nose load.

If you are trying to get a level outfit, then you are likely to be ignoring the legal requirement regarding nose load. Aesthetic appearance of the outfit plays no part in the safety or legal measures.

The prime requirement for nose load is to create an outfit that will tow safely. There are some legal limits that must be observed.

The nose load must never be less than 25Kg or 4% of the trailers weight which ever is greater.

The nose load must never exceed the car or the caravans specified maximum nose load value which ever is smallest.

It may not be obvious but the nose load that a trailer applies to the tow ball varies with its height above horizontal ground. For that reason the nose-load must be measured with the trailer hitch at the same vertical height from the ground as when it is attached to the tow vehicle - all these checks must be done with the outfit on level horizontal ground. Slopes will affect the measurements.

When hitched and ready to tow The vertical height from the ground to the centre of tow-ball must fall between 350 and 420mm

Nose load should be adjusted to provide a safe tow. Generally speaking most towers find that using a nose load towards the top of the available range works best.

It also should be mentioned that cars have load limits on boot load, roof load and axle loads, and again it is an offence to exceed any of them.

Check these out first and then see where you may be able to carry your bicycles.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
While bicycle carriers on the backs of caravans are quite popular on the Continent, this location is far from ideal. Quite apart from the fact that you will be sacrificing payload in the caravan, the added weight so far to the rear can introduce a real stability issue. If at all possible, bikes should be carried in or on the car.

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
Bikes on the car roof, as there are only 2 of us I need to get some weight in the car so putting a couple of light weight bikes on the roof is a good place as there is no impact on the Tow Hitch weight.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i used to put our bikes on the roof , but got fed up with that idea , so bought 2 folding bikes and both go in the boot , very easy

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
I know purists are going to hit the roof at this but i put our bikes in the caravan when we go to Silverstone for the Grand Prix.
It's quick & easy. Also safer when we stop for a break.
Weight wise I'm only replacing the awning & other odds + ends that normally travel on the caravan floor but we don't need at the GP.
If you already have enough in the van, I'd say on the car roof, i prefer bike carriers that hold the bike upside down, these work great with odd frame shapes & full suspension bikes as they only grip the sadle & the handle bars.
Gareth

TRENDING THREADS