Carrying cycles on top of nissan x-trail

Mar 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi all.

I am thinking of carrying a couple of cycles on the roof of my nissan x-trail.
I have done this for years on a mondeo but that was a much lower car. Does anyone carry cycles on the roof of their 4x4 and does the extra height make a difference. Is there a legal height that must not be broken.

I look forward to your answers and views.

Dave.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
dave991 said:
I am thinking of carrying a couple of cycles on the roof of my nissan x-trail.
I have done this for years on a mondeo but that was a much lower car. Does anyone carry cycles on the roof of their 4x4 and does the extra height make a difference. Is there a legal height that must not be broken.

If the overall height is still less than the caravan height (including aerial) then I think you should be OK. You quite often see 4x4s carrying bikes.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
No statutory or legal restrictions as far as I am aware.

Have carried bikes on top of saloon cars, then on Peugeot 4007 (their now defunct SUV/crossover vehicle) and am now back to carrying them on 508 estate car.

Not sure why WC suggests that height should not exceed that of the caravan. How does that work? What is difference to bikes on top of car "solo" and with van in tow? And how would that work if, say, a hi-top Transit were towing a van?

Tip: When using ferries you have to enter heights of tow car and trailer/van. I believe there is a risk that if you enter actual heights of both car with bikes and van then you may be charged twice over for an "over height" vehicle. I only enter the max height once.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
PhilGrace said:
Not sure why WC suggests that height should not exceed that of the caravan. How does that work? What is difference to bikes on top of car "solo" and with van in tow?

I did not say the height should not exceed that of the caravan, but the fact that if the caravan goes under a bridge and the bikes are lower then they will go under as well. ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Taken from

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/travelling/roads/traffic-management/bridges-lorries-and-abnormal-loads/
Bridges with height restrictions
Standard height clearance over roads is 5.03m (16'6"). Bridges with road clearance below this height have signs attached warning road users of the safe clearance. There is no statutory limit governing the overall height of a load on the roads but wherever possible it should not exceed 4.93m (16'3") in order to make maximum use of the main road network.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
There would,nt be a problem carrying the bikes on the caravan roof.All motorway bridges are 16.6ft minimum.All other low bridges are well identified.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
WC,
Apologies - you didn't "state" perhaps it would have been better if I had said that it was implied....? To quote:

"If the overall height is still less than the caravan height (including aerial) then I think you should be OK."

Phil

TRENDING THREADS