Carver 3000s

Jun 2, 2023
Visit site
Good morning new to the motorhome world so here goes.ive bought a swift royale off a local gentleman.everything works so far .but firstly I started the heater up .it ignites and works ,5 mins later starts to make a fluttering noise....
Any ideas where to start !
Thanks murf

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good morning new to the motorhome world so here goes.ive bought a swift royale off a local gentleman.everything works so far .but firstly I started the heater up .it ignites and works ,5 mins later starts to make a fluttering noise....
Any ideas where to start !
Thanks murf

The fact it takes a few mins for the "fluttering" to start suggests it something to do with it warming up. There are a number of known possibilities

I'd immediately suspect its flue pipe related, and it could be something to do with the way the plue pipe has been installed or wind affecting the flue terminal on top of the caravan.

The flue pipe should continuously rise from the heater casting to the roof terminal, with no dips or horizontal stretches.

The Flue terminal should be in free air with no taller obstructions within a meter of the terminal that might disturb free air flow around the terminal. Typical problems could be parked next to wall or tree. Some caravans or campers sometimes have raised roof sections , or even satellite dishes etc within close proximity, which can cause increased back pressure on the flue.

Bearing in mind the age of the heater it could also be a corroded burner bar which become slightly unstable as the flue draws better.

The fact you have asked about it leads me to suspect you are not a qualified LPG gas fitter, so I advise you arrange to get the heater and its installation checked by a professional, as they will have the necessary tools to repair and check the heaters safe to use.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just thought of another possible cause for a fluttering sound. I will assume you also have the rear mounted fan to blow hot air around the motorhome. These have a n automatic setting which modulates the fan speed according to the temperature of the air coming from the heater, this would ramp up its speed as the air from the heater got hotter.

The fluttering noise might be debris unbalancing the fan impeller, a bit of debris stuck to the impeller flapping around.

All blown hot air fans progressively become blocked as they tend to collect debris from the air that passes through them. They do need to periodically cleaned very carefully to avoid unbalancing the impeller.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts