Carver element test

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
is it safe to do a quick test of the electric element of the caver cascade 2 without it being in water, I bought a water heater from eBay and I was assured it works ok but I'd rather test it before I go all the way to East Yorkshire from Sheffield tomorrow and fit it, I can't even test it there as I've got no access to mains electric so I'd have to wait until our next break, all I'd need to do is connect it and switch it on briefly and feel it for getting warm and switch it off straight away, sorry for the long drawn out question.

Sean.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have a multimeter then you can do some basic checks, the element should have a cold resistance of about 60 Ohms (830W model) across its 230V live and neutral terminals.

Frequently when an immersion element fails (Not just Carver elements) the insulation breaks down, and that will most likely show up when the element is wet. Whilst most Digital multimeter will measure resistance values up to 10Mohm, the bias voltage is usually quite low, and that may not fully expose any faults in the element. For proper testing it should be done with a megger (250V or even 500V) or use a Portable Appliance test set which can do several other checks at the same time.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
You may be underestimating the task especially as your caravan is not local and you have no power at its location site.
You have a gas connection.....12 volt gas heater connections...230 volt mains connection.....hot and cold water connections.....all have to be done correctly and safely.

I have a 1995 caravan owned from new and maintained only by me and it has a Carver heater.
I would bench test your heater 230 volt element by wiring up the element and filling the heater tank with water.
Do this with the water heater vertical with the water inlet and outlet at the top.

Over the 20 years I have owned and extensively used my caravan....... the only trouble I have had with the Carver water heater is with the plastic water connections.
I am on my third set of complete renewals.....the plastic becomes brittle with age and leak or break off.
I am referring to the hot water outlet, cold water inlet which are inside the caravan and the relief valve which is on the outside of the caravan behind the cowl.
These screw into the cast metal heater body itself.
I would renew these three fittings before fitting the heater or at least check them.

Parts are readily available and sold by Truma.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks gents, I've managed to sort it out, I borrowed a big generator from work to connect it up to a 230volt supply, as the unit came from a damaged motor home in which the front cowl was damaged, I just used the tank, the rod and element, I bought a complete 'O' ring kit from eBay so I was able to leave my existing cowl and 12 volt setup in place, it works a treat, got hot in no time at all, thanks again gents, oh yeah, I'll borrow a mega tester from one of my electrician mates at work and test it properly next weekend.
Nearly forgot, I'm on my third set of connections too gafferbill, it was a right job to change but the last set I used a blow torch set low to soften the broken plastic in the alloy, it came out so easy and caused no distortion to the burner housing.

Sean.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The simple answer is YES,you don't need power to test the element.To just fit the element and switch it on after immersion isn't testing it - it's just chancing it and hoping it will be ok.
Do the proper checks with a megger before fitting (you don't need to immerse it or you can if you want)
The actual element isn't in contact with water it has a sheath surrounding it compacted with a mineral insulating material.
If you are not in a position to do this get someone competant or take it to an electrical shop

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts