Carver Water Heater

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Carver water heater (12volt/gas) in my 1990 Swift.

When I switch my electric to the hook up the Carver makes a loud buzzing noise. when I switch back to the caravan battery the buzzing stops. The water gets heated either way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Simon,

The buzzing indicates that the 12V supply form the mains is not smoothed, and could indicate either wiring fault or the way you are using the van.

The battery should be fitted at all times, even when using mains, as the impeadance of the battery acts as a smoothing device for the mains charger.

Never use the caravan without a battery.

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
I'm no expert but I understood that the water heaters only worked off gas or mains electric the 12v is only for the ignitor for the gas. I have just got rid of my van with a carver water heater and whilst I recall there was a battery symbol on the contol panel I understood that was for the ignitor. But I stand to be corrected. On that basis the buzzing is to do with your mains

Colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm no expert but I understood that the water heaters only worked off gas or mains electric the 12v is only for the ignitor for the gas. I have just got rid of my van with a carver water heater and whilst I recall there was a battery symbol on the contol panel I understood that was for the ignitor. But I stand to be corrected. On that basis the buzzing is to do with your mains

Colin
Colin,

The gas system needs 12V dc to detect the flame, open the gas valve, fire the ignitor and run the logic to know when to make things happen. - No 12v means no gas heating. The model fitted to 1990 van did not have mains heating though this could be added as an upgrade kit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back in the early 90's battery chargers were of low amperage output (4amps) and in general pretty poorly regulated so as John says need a battery in line to smooth the output of the charger and take the load when many things are switched on at the same time.

Since the mid 90's chargers or more correctly '12v power sources' have improved considerably and with highly regulated outputs of more than 10amps a battery is no longer required except as backup for the odd power cut.

What I would thing is your charger is 'over volting' giving out something in excess of 14.5 volts and this is causing the gas solenoide valve to buzz. This will be due to not having a battery, a faulty battery or the charger itself being faulty.

It's worth pointing out a poorly regulated voltage will not only make the valve buzz it will also 'cook' an otherwise sound battery so you will need to determine what is causing the problem...the battery or the charger.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts